Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting replacement computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hello again

I have a couple of questions
First, I have a Gateway FX530** desktop which I purchased in 2007. Having a 4 yr in home warranty I had Gateway replace both of my optical drives because they were not opening without a fight. They sent both drives out, one being a DVD and the other a re-write write. It seems this computer is discontinued and they no longer can get the re-write drive. Being this computer has a curved bezel or front another drive won't do. After some going back and forth they agreed to replace it. I finally agreed on a 2008 model brand new which is an FX6701-01. Looks like it is more powerful, larger hard drive, 6 gig memory compared to my 4gig. This unit takes an optional pull out hard drive that fits in a drawer. I can't seem to find just what type of hard drive to purchase so I am hoping someone can help me out with maybe where to get it. I would like a 500-650 gig drive for backups. Maybe it is what they call a hot swappable drive??
Also I just upgraded to win 7 on my old machine like 2 weeks ago and will put it in the new one that has Vista 64bit installed. Will I be able to install win 7 again without a hassle? I also have purchased Microsoft Office with Excel, Word, Outllook, and Powerpoint. I have already needed to call Microsoft saying I only downloaded it 3 times. Will this be an issue as well?
And lastly I will need to get a TV tuner card as the new one doesn't come with it. Maybe some help there as well. I will call Gateway tomorrow and ask if I can take the tuner card out of the old one and hopefully they will say yes

I would like to add that I am really happy with windows 7 and I think they got it right this time :huh:

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and Thank you
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users