Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IRC questions regarding DCC get folders, auto get file and quit command

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Firefox user

Firefox user

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

hi every one! ^^

just recently I have started using IRC and as you see I am a total newbie regarding it.*sweat drops* my system OS is windows XP professional x64 edition and I am using mIRC v6.21.

last night when I was trying to figure out how does it works, I stumbled on some problems and no matter how much I searched around I just couldn't find the right answer to those through reading FAQ or IRC guides.

first I would like to know: if you join a channel, then quit mIRC without using the Exit command or suddenly become DC, does your nickname still remain visible in the channel which you have been on it, even after you have quitted mIRC? (you know like what some times happens in Yahoo chat rooms, you can see the nicknames of the people who were in the room although they had become DC in middle of the chat)

can people follow you through channels or just search for you if they know your nickname? (I found several answers to this question and it really confused me :-s )

one thing which really freaked me out last night after I went to check my IRC menus, was when I found out DCC auto get file option was enabled in my mIRC all this time! and what was making it worse that the DCC ignore list was disabled as well !! and I am 100% sure these options were like this by default! God, it means any one could send a file to me (even a Trojan or virus) and I probably even didn't notice what that thing is! no warning window, no alert! none of those were enabled! and who does say the mIRC doesn't let DCC auto get file by default!! *smack forehead and sigh*

now I am seriously concerned: if some one has sent a file to me without my knowledge, is it possible for this file to be saved in other directories besides the default DCC get folders? (I never have used the DCC commands like /dcc get <folder> for changing the directories and I am not changing the DCC get folders for received files manually either)

I appreciate it dearly if any one can help me to find the right answer to these questions *bows deeply* thanks so much for your time and attention in advance. :thumbsup:

Edited by Firefox user, 26 November 2009 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users