Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help! pls give advice.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 boy indian

boy indian

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'm planning to built a new gaming computer. Can you give a professional advice on what is hot or not regarding cpu, motherboard and game card. pls give at least 3 types of it so I can match things up...thank you very much for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

I just want to preface this with: I don't have any experience with AMD processors. I'll be speaking of intel.
intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - One of the newer Core 2 Duo processors, it offers pretty good performance, and it's basically the last processor before the price:performance ratio levels out.
intel Core i7 920 - This is where you start getting pretty serious. One of the newest processors being sold by intel, it offers awesome performance, a few steps short of bleeding-edge.

Concerning motherboards, NewEgg is a good place to read reviews on motherboards because any decent mobo on that site will get tens to hundreds of diverse reviews. Recommend ASUS and MSI as good board brands for high-end rigs. Or, if you want to go extreme, get the world's first 4-way SLI board.

Video cards: Same bias seen here. Do not know ATI cards well, so I will not mention them.
After the 9800- or GTS 250 series, performance increases on current games are not noticeable, except for the super-graphics games which I don't think are that great. But, just for the sake of being future-proof, a GTX 280, or on the super-high-end, a GTX 295 is a good gaming setup. I don't recommend SLI, it's for the major-performance-every-last-frame-per-second user or for users looking to improve a current rig, and the performance increase is not 2x. With current SLI efficiency, you'll probably see anywhere from a 125-175% performance increase with SLI cards. Basically, I'm saying "SLI is trouble. Just get a good single card." Well, that's my spiel. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 01 December 2009 - 10:09 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users