Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation for a new printer ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

Hi guys. I have had it with cheap canon printers. I have used 2 of them and they both don't print worth a crap. Granted none of them were over 50 bucks. I don't even remember their model numbers. First one came free with my Dell PC 4 years ago.

I am looking for a good reliable printer for home use. Would like to be able to print text documents, photos, CD/DVD stomper labels. Would also like it to have slots for SD card as well CF card, if possible. Don't really need it to be an all in one printer but if it is, I wouldn't mind. I already have a scanner. Don't have the copier though. Been using my fax machine to copy.

Any recommendations ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dsa1971

dsa1971

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

I recently bought a brother mfc420cn for $129 at staples. It's an all in one (printer/copier/fax/scanner). It's pretty compact, is network enabled, and has card readers in front. It got good reviews on cnet.com.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

Just got an Epson Stylus Photo RX500 about 5 months ago.
Totally satisfied with it.
$149.99 after rebates.
Specifications
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:52 PM

$149.99 after rebates.
Specifications

How much are the ink cartridges for that epson ? There are 6 of them so it must cost a bunch though I'd imagine you don't need to replace some of the colors very often, eh ?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

I ordered my cartridges from omnideal.com.
Paid $3.40 apiece for the cartridges.
Total of $20.40 for all 6.
No shipping charge.
They work fine, in my printer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:02 PM

Generic ?

I happen to think that is exactly what killed my printer nozzle. I am sticking with *brand* cartridges from now on, no matter what printer I end up with. Which is why I wondered about the cost of it.

Glad *compatible* cartridges work for ya. :thumbsup:

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:46 PM

I've used a Canon i550 for years. As I inherited an extra frugal gene, started using generic cartridges but then drilled holes and have refilled them with what must be pints of cheap ink from refill kits purchased at Costco. I print at least 100 b/w pages/day and frequently print full-color ad stuff for our business and lots of family photos on both plain paper and glossy paper. Only downside for me is that my fingers almost always stained with ink during the messy refill process...I'm too cheap to use latex gloves :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#8 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

Bought epson last night. Final price $80 AR, if and when I get my rebates. It's a Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...es&oid=37368458

So is it any good ? I didn't wanna miss deadline on the price. But it's still in the box. Can return if I get negaative feedbacks about this printer. Some negative reviews on epinion/bizrate but some positives as well. Come to think of it I have yet to see a printer where you get good reviews across the board.

Edited by KISNA, 12 August 2005 - 11:19 AM.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:20 AM

$149.99 after rebates.
Specifications

How much are the ink cartridges for that epson ? There are 6 of them so it must cost a bunch though I'd imagine you don't need to replace some of the colors very often, eh ?

I also own a RX500. I just bought another set of ink black&color on ebay for $14. It works great. If the RX 300 is as nice you are going to be very happy. The best thing about 6 cartridges you only replace the ones that are empty, not the whole lot. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users