Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will CopyWipe do what I need it to?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyLee

BobbyLee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

I have a subnotebook (JVC MP-XP741) which has been thrashed by malware and now won't boot to normal XP or in safe mode. It's a stale (6 years) XP Pro install, so I'm kind of looking forward to a fresh install.

I'm concerned about the malware surviving an standard XP re-partition and format, and have read about using CopyWipe to write zeros to the entire drive. My plan is to use a W98 boot disk with CopyWipe and Aefdisk. So my questions are:

1. Is this a good idea, or should I not stress and just re-install XP Pro?

2. Should I run Aefdisk and delete all partitions first, then run CopyWipe, or vice-versa?

3. Is CopyWipe OK with NTFS?

3. Will XP be happy at installation if it sees a drive with no partitions containing all zeros?

Any recommendations are gratefully received.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

If you faintly remember the name of malware that hit your computer then please mention it, as BC HJT experts can give you a better answer. Some malware (actually rootkits) can reside in places hidden from a standard hard disk format operation. But those are very rare ones. In general, a full format during Windows XP setup is sufficient.

I would attempt to answer your questions :
1. Not bad idea.
2. Run Aefdisk after CopyWipe. Actually, Windows XP can create partitions by itself when it sees hard disk has no partitions.
3. CopyWipe reads raw sectors of hard disk. NTFS or FAT or whatever it does not matter.
4. Windows XP will ask you to create new partition durng setup. Its an easy process too. (But you were using Aefdisk ?)

You can have a look at other hard disk wipe tools :
KillDisk ( http://www.killdisk.com/ )
Darik's Boot and Nuke ( http://www.dban.org/ )

Also a useful walkthrough of Windows XP Pro setup :
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

#3 BobbyLee

BobbyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Thanks very much.

I do not know the identity of the malware. It defied Spybot, AdAware, MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SmitFraudFix, and other attempts. It redirected my web browsing, and initially prevented running any software. I'm concerned about the possibility that it lives in the root, hidden from view.

If it does, are the techniques I plan adequate, or is a better alternative available?

Thanks again.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

That kind of malware should be killed in the process you have planned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users