Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

operating system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harddriver4shu

Harddriver4shu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:35 PM

Ok my computer i am having a problem with is a hp Omnibook XE2 note book, It was designed to run Win98 I let a friend of my brother's take a look at it . It had a vmx32 error on it. I gave him the Win98 disk to load ,he had it about 3 weeks, I found he tried to load on it WinXP professional and of course there was an error loading it. The computer when booting up get's stuck on error loading operating system, I have tried changing my bios and f8 and f5, I have also tried using boot disks but the problem is that Win Xp does not belong there to begin with and it will not boot, I think I need to return to dos mode to do a full uninstall. The problem is that I cannot get any sort of command prompt or get off that message. Any helpfull advice or alternate commands for this notebook will be helpfull, P.S please do not advise going to HP for help,been there done that. There answer step up to a new notebook, "not intrested". :thumbsup:
On the road to life there are driver's and there are passengers, which are you[COLOR=purple]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hello Harddriver4shu and welcome to BC.

Is your 98 CD an HP recovery disk? If so see:

HP Desktop PCs - Restoring Original Drivers and Software.

If not:

Go to Bootdisk.com and get a 98 bootdisk. Set your bios to boot from the floppy drive with that boot disk and format the hard drive from there. Load the 98 CD into that drive drive, switch to that drive letter (it will be R: if you use one of their boot disks) and run setup. This will reload 98. You will no doubt need to go to the HP site for additional drivers.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Harddriver4shu

Harddriver4shu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

I have changed the bios and went to bootdisk.com and got another bootdisk but my problem remains I am unable to get from the error, I cannot access any command lines so i think i need a keyboard trick to get to dos
On the road to life there are driver's and there are passengers, which are you[COLOR=purple]

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

The last time I got a 98 bootdisk from bootdisk.com it didn't work and must not have the required fdisk.exe command.

If you do not have access to a 98 or ME computer you can make a bootdisk using the 98 CD from any computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q187632/

Then
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

The computer when booting up get's stuck on error loading operating system,

If you are still getting that error you are not booting from the boot disk.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Harddriver4shu

Harddriver4shu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

appreciate the info ? do I first need to remove win xp profesional that my brothers friend tried to install before I can continue to fix win98

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:53 PM

If your brothers friend tried to put XP on there then there is no 98 left to fix. You need to do a fresh install. You haven't said what your 98 CD is, an MS version or HP's. If its HP's then follow the instructions in my previous link. If its from Microsoft then after booting from the floppy follow the directions to fdisk and format in River Rat's link. Either way you will remove XP in the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users