Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS Opinions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

I just bought a new Dell Vostro in September. I ordered it with XP Pro installed. The computer has 4GB of RAM, a 512MB video card and Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 w/ VT (2.93GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB).

The computer came with the XP Pro disc, the Vista Premium disc and I just recieved the Windows 7 upgrade disc. All of these discs also came with another disc containing all the necessary drivers and stuff.

My question is this, do I need to upgrade? Why? I am happy with XP (thats why I ordered it pre-installed). I use the computer to do video processing. It does this very well. Its fast (faster than my Dimension 8400 with a 3.4GB Intel Extreme, 2GB RAM and 256 Video Card). It Multi-Tasks with no problem even when working with video.

So would there be any reason to upgrade? I would like to hear a few opinions.

Thanks for your time

Edited by Ranger SVO, 26 November 2009 - 09:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

Well its up too you, If I were you I'd go with Windows 7 just 'cause thats my personal preference. If anything don't stay at Vista if you are upgrading because Windows 7 has significant improvement over vista.

Heres a layout of the benchmarks between the three operating systems. Hope it lets you make a choice :thumbsup:

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information...-vs-vista-vs-7/
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

That looks like a very informative article, I'll read it right now.

Thanks, your time is appreciated.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

No problem. :thumbsup: Hope I helped.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

a lot of it is personal preference. I personally, have XP on my laptop and vista ultimate on my desktop, and don't plan on upgrading either anytime soon. Im happy with XP on the laptop, and its really not powerful enough to run anything newer without at least a memory upgrade, and I like it anyway. with vista, ive worked for like 2 years getting all the bugs out of the system, I dont particularly want to start over with a whole new operating system with new bugs (i dont care what they say, windows 7 is bound to have new bugs) and Ive played a little with windows 7, and yes its better then vista, but not enough to be worth 200 bucks to me at this point, so I will probably wait a few months at least until they release a service pack or 2. Call me old fashioned. but ya, its really up to you. personally, If I had all 3, and I wanted to upgrade, I would skip vista and go straight to 7, but on the other hand, XP is a proven OS. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 bealer46

bealer46

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

as for me i use xp and ubuntu 9.10. i dont see a need to upgrade to win 7.the latest may not be the greatest.a year or two from now,when the bugs are worked out then i might upgrade

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Still on XP (SP2+latest updates) and loving it ! :thumbsup:
With Vista being buggy AND Win 7 relatively new, I have no better option.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 09 December 2009 - 07:39 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users