Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slack3r

slack3r

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hi, this blue screen error message came up today,windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.A line below-IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.What is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

The key words in that message...are the ones you omit from your post...something to the effect of..."if this is the first time that you have seen this error...".

XP periodically will reflect this message, I don't claim to know any more about what has transpired than XP tells me. I've usually not done anything different...no new hardware or software installed and I take the message for what it is. Since it doesn't happen consistently or routinely...I don't worry about it.

I could speculate about the cause but...I don't.

In your case, you can always do a search for any .dmp file which may have been created. This file may provide clues, it may not.

If you go that route, you can then try to follow the procedures reflected at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users