Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Registry - Cant get into Recovery Console or Install Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nitin77

nitin77

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:05 AM

hello,

Had a power blackout due to thunderstorms. Unfortunately when restarting windows, I get this error :

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Found this on the microsoft site to assist recovery :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Unfortunately when I boot up using the windows cd, press R to enter the recovery console, and get the choice to select a windows installation (ie 1.C:\windows), I press 1 and enter and it just seems to hang.

Similarly, if I do not choose the recovery console option but instead the Setup Windows option, it tries to detect previously installed versions of windows and just hangs when doing that process.

Any ideas? My hard drive is a SATA drive.

cheers,

nitin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

My hard drive is a SATA drive.

First you need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the configuration for the SATA hard drive to operate as "IDE or ATA compatible" or "Legacy IDE" or some wording along those lines (depending on your bios version). Then you will be able to boot from the CD and load the Recovery Console.

At the RC prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER>.
If any errors are found repeat, until there are no more errors indicated.

This will probably fix the issue. Try starting your system normally.

If no luck with the above ... (this is a little better perhaps, than the Microsoft one you found)
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652
(There are a few mistakes in the the instructions text, but simply ignore those.
There is a significant mistake in Step #6 when changing the prompt back one directory level: This is given as cd..
In fact you must enter a space between cd and the two dots, so that it looks like this cd .. )
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

Did you try the Guided Help at that link? Does it require you to access the RC first?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users