Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - antivirus not installing/task manager disabled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raghavan.eee

raghavan.eee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:51 AM

Hello friends,
I am encountering the following problems with my PC (it is a 5 year old Windows XP PC).
1) The task manager is disabled (disabled by administrator is the message I am getting). I searched the net and got the following script for enabling it "REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f". It works temporarily but I have to do it again everytime I want to open taskmanager.
2) I am not able to install any antivirus programs, but I am able to install other programs. I tried Kaspersky, Avast and AVG.
3) My browser suddenly opens some random sites (I am using Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3).

Because of these problems, I reinstalled windows XP after formatting the drive in which I had installed windows earlier (I had installed in D:\). Even then the same problems are still there. I have seen other people also have encountered such problems and the solutions provided in this forum seem to work. Please help me with this.
Regards,
Raghavan K. V.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 December 2009 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If you did a clean install and the same problems occurred immediately afterward...I would begin to suspect a hardware problem of some type.

Even though disabling of Task Manager and security aspects of the system...seem to be classic malware symptoms (IMO)...that is negated by the fact that problem occurs again after format/clean install.

What is the mechanism you used to reinstall? Recovery/restore CDs...MS XP CD?

System manufacturer and model?

What is the exact message you receive when you attempt to install an AV program?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors which might possibly shed some light?

Louis

#3 raghavan.eee

raghavan.eee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for replying. I was out of town for a few days.
I Installed using a windows XP bootalble CD.
My PC is an old assembled one. Here is my PC configuration:
Intel D845GVSR motherboard.
768 MB DDR RAM (256MB + 512 MB)
Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor

I dont get any error message on trying to install the antivirus. It just doesnt show any response :thumbsup:.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

Probably seems foolish, but that's me :thumbsup:...see if you can download, update, and then run Avira Free.

Click green at http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_downloa..._antivirus.html.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users