Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stumped....omputer won't boot...PSU, CPU, or MOBO?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pp08

pp08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:59 AM

SO I have a system I built myself.

Pentium dual core running 2gigs of ram, 2 HDDs totally 500 gigs. DVR card for surveillance.

Anyways, 2 weeks ago there was a thunderstorm. Didn't knock out the power (not that I know of) but the computer stopped working since then. The computer is connected to surge protectors.

I figured it was the PSU (generic raidmax that came with the case) So I ordered a new one. Nothing fancy.

I installed it and now the computer won't boot.

Matter in fact, the computer won't stay on. After pressing the power button, the fans briefly come on and then stop. I tried reseating everything but that didn't work. When I disconnect the 12v plug, the computer stays on. But it doesn't boot. I thought it might be the volt meter, so I changed it. Now the computer stays on even with the 12v connector plugged in. But looking at the switch, it doesn't look right. It is showing 220. Doesn't that mean its running on 220v? I switch it back and the same thing happens....the computer dies.

So now that I bought a new PSU, could it be that the mobo or cpu is fried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pp08

pp08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

so the entire night I spent trying to reset the BIOS by 1) shorting the jumper....didn't do anything 2) holding power down, pulling the power cord out for 30 seconds then powering up again....that didn't do anything 3) removing the battery and reinstalling....that didn't do anything either.

I am still stumped as to why the power light is on even when the computer is off. it has never done that

Oh,

and Happy Thanksgiving!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users