Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Errors, Vista x32

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 help4computer

help4computer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hello,
Recently, after having to restore my computer, which is running Vista x32, to a previous time (using Rescue and Recovery by Lenovo, on a Thinkpad T61), my Windows Updates, as well as several other programs, most of which I can just reinstall, have stopped working.
I had to restore because I had altered a resolution settings on my Nvidia Control Panel, hindering my vision of anything going on completely. I did not think to go into safe mode and do a reversable roll-back, but instead performed a irreversible system restore.

When I open Windows Update, I can see the dialog box, but there is no text whatsoever. Posted Image
I am also unable to change the Update settings via Windows Security Center, as the same problem occurs there as well (no text anywhere, the buttons do not do anything).

Please note that I have misplaced my installation disc, so I am unable to complete the instructions on this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
I have also completed everything asked in this site: http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008...erver-2008.aspx
I have restarted my computer several times, and I am unable to roll my computer back to a state before the restore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:52 AM

Reboot pc continuosly pressing F8 when you get Windows Advanced Options Menu scroll down to last known good configuration, this should take your puter back to the last known time when the puter was running ok, after you do this and if it works get back to us so we can help you further !
Good Luck ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 help4computer

help4computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not fix my problem.

I forgot to mention in my first post, when trying to install the Windows Update Agent, I recieved the error message 0x80070490. I did complete the steps listed in the url I posted, but to no avail.

I will most likely do a reformat and install Windows 7 soon, but I would like to be able to use my programs as soon as possible.

#4 help4computer

help4computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:01 AM

Sorry for the double post.
I still have not figure out a way to get windows update to work. I also had to reinstall 90% of the programs that use internet, so I figured Windows Update might be one of them. However, I have no idea how to remove it. Any suggestions or any other ideas that would get WU working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users