Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer performance using different OS's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi I was wondering if computer performance varies through the use of different operating systems? For example, will my computer run faster on XP home, or 7? Using the same hardware, drivers, settings, etc. Or does it depend on other factors, or no significant differences at all? Or simply, what's the deal with this?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

The short answer is, it depends. An application that runs on Windows XP should run just the same on Windows 7. The determining factor for speed largely has to do with hardware. Since there are an infinite number of combinations of hardware, your question is sort of null. Windows 7 deals with file systems, memory, and hardware differently than Win XP, but different does not necessarily mean faster.

#3 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

The short answer is, it depends. An application that runs on Windows XP should run just the same on Windows 7. The determining factor for speed largely has to do with hardware. Since there are an infinite number of combinations of hardware, your question is sort of null. Windows 7 deals with file systems, memory, and hardware differently than Win XP, but different does not necessarily mean faster.

Thank you that was very helpful; would it help if I gave some specs? I just really don't want to go wrong...

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

As a further note, you may want to check and see if 7 is compatible for your system...This download will give you an idea of whether or not all of your hardware will work or not....Programs and software are another issue some may work faster some may not even work at all...As was stated earlier it depends on your system and what you are trying to do...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx

I am presently dual booting Windows 7 RC1 and XP pro...I spend way much more time on 7 than I do Pro and I have been a loyal XP user for almost nine years....So far Windows 7 is much crisper and all of my hardware gadgets work as good or better than they do using XP...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Johnsy

Johnsy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

It depends on the PC specifications. Some PCs run XP faster, some run Vista faster. I haven`t tried 7 yet but my PC likes XP. :D
Commercial signature removed by Admin. Please review the guidelines for membership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users