Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Color modes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 new_member

new_member

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:19 PM

I recently got a Gateway 2000 computer. I upgraded my computer software from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. Before I upgraded, the color mode on my computer was just fine, but now that I have Windows 2000, it only has one color mode which is 16-bit. What is wrong? Is it supposed to be like that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hi did you also use the system disk to load drivers for motherboard and PCI and SIS as these need to be installed,
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

You need to update the drivers for anything that isn't working properly to accommodate Win 2000.

Probably the printer, video and sound card drivers and possibly the cd and floppy drive drivers.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 August 2005 - 05:10 PM.

#4 new_member

new_member
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

My knowledge of computers is very limited. Could someone explain in detail the solution to my problem?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

go to start/settings/control panel, click on the System icon, then click on the hardware tab, then click on "device manager", and open "Display adapters" by clicking on the + sign.

Do you see any yellow or red question marks or exclamation points?

If you do, double click on the device. Then click on the driver tab, then on update driver.

Do the same thing with "Sound, Video and Game controllers".

#6 new_member

new_member
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

Thank you for taking time to post your previous post, but sorry to say, it didn't solve my problem. Any other suggestions, please?

#7 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

When you upgraded from win 98 to win 2000 your video card needs drivers for the win 2000 operating system. Drivers are a software program that permits the operating system to use the the particular hardware. go to gateway website and find out what hardware is installed in your particular model. if you are lucky they will have drivers for download on their site . if gateway does not have them you will have to go to manufacturers website to download their win 2000 drivers. for example if you have an ATI video card you would go to their site for their win 2000 drivers.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

Another way to find out what drivers you need would be to download Everest Home Edition, which will provide information on every piece of hardware and all software installed in your computer.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users