Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Now my relatives have me doing research for them. Its a clone with a Biostar M7VIZ- ver 7.1 Motherboard. The unit is CRITICALLY SLOW. It used to have 300+ MB of memory running normal then it just got slow. I went there, cleaned , defragged, virus scanned and malware scanned. Same thing. Took the memory out, put it in my machine. My unit worked perfectly. Added my amt of memory along with theirs (=600+MB Memory) still slow. Average page load at least 10 sec. Boot up page refresh 20mins. Its running Mc Afee Enterprise 8.5. No additional programs installed when speed decreased. At times when started up, screen would be greyed out with no display. Unplugged everything and plugged back in, then it would start. At times without any reason it would operate fast. right now its slow. I am not at all familiar with the term "overclocking" but the DOS splash screen sometimes informs me of this function being present and I should reset the CMOS settings or something. As it is right now as I type the letters are following my fingers. What might this be. They just want to buy another machine. I have them on hold. Maybe its just something that can be fixed. Like I said, its clean for spyware and viruses, I also do Tuneup Utilities at times when it becomes so slow. there are no problems reported

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:29 AM

That computer is a socket A AMD athlon XP its possible its time to upgrade. My suggestion would be to try and max out the ram at 2 gigs at DDR 333. That's the only saving grace for the machine. Running any of todays operating systems and programs will be vary taxing on that computer and it will be slow theres no way around it. I have an old athlon XP sitting behind me that I no longer use becuase in the time it takes it to boot I can long onto this machine check my e-mail and log off before its done.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

Thanks,
I told them that maybe the components were worn....similiar to what you are saying. Its the best option I could think off cause this one has me stumped. Or could it be the power supply?

#4 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

I agree with Sneaky. Max out the RAM and update the BIOS to the latest version. I doubt any other hardware is at fault, but you could always run Memtest86 and run a benchmark on the CPU to make sure it is running properly. Otherwise, your system is just too outdated to run today's newer software.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 28 November 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Thanks I'll let them know. I am closing this post as now I have some PC issues of my own in Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users