Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ikairu

ikairu

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

When booting up my laptop, everything goes fine until the time my login screen should come up.
It doesn't appear, but instead it flashes this blue screen for an instant, and then reboots itself again.
I've tried booting in safe mode, but the blue screen still proceeds to flash before rebooting.
The only thing I managed to get out of it was to disable the automatic restart.
The blue screen said info about system updates, or something with my drive, etc.

Technical Information was...
STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x83371BCB, 0xF8A0769C, 0xF8A07398)

I believe that this was most likely caused by a virus.
Just the day before, my sister inserted her flash drive, and the laptop went all haywire.
Please help. I have many personal files in that laptop that I wish to save at the least.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

You have two error codes:

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

http://www.0xc0000005.com/

I've seen a number of these 05 errors which are malware-related, so I'm willing to accept your premise of malware :thumbsup:.

To get data off your hard drive and onto another...you will need something like the items at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....240%20-%20%2410.

You remove hard drive from the laptop (easily done)...put it in the 2.5-inch USB 2.0 enclosure...and connect it to a well-protected system (no point in infecting some other system). Move the data files from one hard drive to another partition or removeable media.

Once that is done, you can move on to dealing with the malware issue.

Louis

#3 ikairu

ikairu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

I don't know how fast I'll be able to get one of those enclosures. I'll try my best.
But, is there any way to deal with the malware at the time being, and without harming any of my personal files?
...or is getting the enclosure part of the process in dealing with the malware?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

<<Please help. I have many personal files in that laptop that I wish to save at the least.>>

<<I believe that this was most likely caused by a virus.>>

Looking at those two statements...I consider two things:

a. Which is the most important?

b. Which can be addressed without possibly negating the other?

From what I know (which is very little), resolving malware issues these days can ultimately result in loss of data on a system where data files are on the system partition. I guess that I (unlike many posters) don't believe that a system that currently doesn'l allow for proper booting...will eventually allow for such. I don't assume that my guesses at what is wrong...are correct and I always keep the possibility of a bad hard drive or NTFS problems...in mind as a possible factor in what appears to be happening.

If the suggestion is made that a clean install is the way to deal with what is...or a new hard drive...or a format/wipe of the current system partition...then it may be ascertained too late that data files are toast because the reboot loop cannot be overcome.

I'm not a programmer nor an IT professional, so I see things through the eyes of a user who has encountered some situations with Windows and XP for a period of time where my knowledge has grown (thanks to forums like this one and my basic ability to use the Web as the biggest library known to me). I explain my suggestions/comments from the perspective of an amateur, a user with basic skills/experiences.

If that happens to be NOT the perspective of the original poster or anyone else...I try to learn from that.

<<But, is there any way to deal with the malware at the time being, and without harming any of my personal files?>>

Not from my knowledge bank :thumbsup:. The malware forums here deal with malware issues...but the complicating factor that prevents me from sending you there is the fact that you cannot boot into Windows to run any programs which might be suggested in one of those forums.

Someone else would have to answer that question for you.

<<...or is getting the enclosure part of the process in dealing with the malware?>>

The enclosure suggestion is based on the premise that your data files may need to be removed from the partition/drive as the most important of the considerations at this time, at this moment.

I could be wrong :flowers: in my perspective, the forum has many voices with more knowledge and much more experience. The smart thing to do, IMO, would be to await inputs from some of those on your particular situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users