Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix.exe Downloads With Win32/SillyDI.PRR Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spn

spn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue downloading ComboFix.exe for the BleepingComputer site. I logged onto BleepingComputer a few minutes ago and when I downloaded ComboFix.exe to my PC, my virus protection software, CA (Computer Associates), blocked it saying that it was infected with the "Win32/SillyDI.PRR" virus.

Any suggestions? I am running Windows XP Prof., 32 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

spn

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Combofix is not infected - the result is just a false positive.

You really shouldn't run Combofix except under the guidance of an expert.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 spn

spn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

I wouldn't really consider myself a total rookie. I worked for the Gannett Corp. for 34 years with the last 24 being in I.T. so I do have more knowledge than the average person you would normally come across. Thanks for your help with my question.

spn

Edited by spn, 25 November 2009 - 10:59 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

When I said that you really shouldn't run Combofix except under the guidance of an expert, what I meant was someone who has been specifically trained in the use of Combofix.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 spn

spn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

I would appreciate that very much. I am always looking to learn something new. My brother-in-law uses ComboFix at their site. Who could go through the "do's and don't" concerning ComboFix with me?

Edited by spn, 26 November 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

If you have an infection and think you need to run Combofix you should start a new topic in the HijackThis section of the forum:

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

If you want to be trained in the use of Combofix see here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/86678/malware-removal-training-program/

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Who could go through the "do's and don't" concerning ComboFix with me?

If you insist on using ComboFix on your own after reading the guide and tutorial, please read the following advisory as well prior to use of ComboFix: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 spn

spn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

Thank you very much for all of the information which you have supplied me. There are a lot of valuable tools and information supplied within.

Thanks again for your assistance.

spn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users