Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh no... not again... Argh...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kelly2

kelly2

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Well now my computer really needs attention, it's an HP Presario with Windows XP, recently 3rd service pack, the bottom taskbar has just gone missing, so no Start button and no internet, I'm on a public computer and will be for only a few hours, I live out of town so you'll have to excuse me if I don't respond for awhile. so far, I've tried Ctrl/Esc as an alternative to the missing Start button but it's not working, neither is the windows flag button between Ctrl and Alt. I've somehow managed to save some of my files/photos onto simple CD-R disks using Sonic, but they don't hold much, I picked up a Flashdrive thing and I'm hoping it will function with the little control I have, I know some of the bugs have kept me from using Hijack and getting proper help, I'm guessing it's time to save everything I can before jumping ship and reinstalling the OP. this is my first comp I would appreciate any and all help available. especially with not missing things I should be saving before I reinstall. besides file and folders, photos, is there anything else I should remember ? can I save the sites I have in Favorites ? how about all the work I've done on my Google Earth ?

Thanks in advance.

Kelly.

P.S. I'll check back in in a few hours before I leave.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Try accessing Task Manager
Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Ctrl + ESC then Shift
In the Applications window, end all tasks
Then start a new task and typeexplorer.exe
Hopefully you will have the Desktop back and then I would run your AV and any malware tools you have
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks garmanma. I've tried that, still no taskbar. :thumbsup:

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Go to kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm he has a little download program that may restore your taskbar.

#5 kelly2

kelly2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:50 AM

Thanks you guys for your help, my computer is back up a running now, I tried all sorts of suggestions but I guess my computer was just too messed up, I've had to reinstall the operating system and start from scratch, since my computer should be fairly bug free I've decided to buy a Seagate Replica to back things up, hopefully not so much work next time. thanks again.

Kelly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users