Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to reformat my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klm925

klm925

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:31 PM

Ok, I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but I'm a Mac person, and my PC is giving me nightmares...I'm not sure if it's the lovely new wormy or some past virus....but here's what's been happening...

The problem started by my system completely shutting down to a blue screen with a .sys error and a message that it was dumping memory now. So, I went to the windows site and started downloading updates (after defragging and the problem persisting).... Well, I got two updates taken care of, and now my system freezes on the Windows 2000 Operating screen about half way through the start-up process...

Any advice? Is this salvageable? Or do I need to reformat?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

What version of windows?

#3 klm925

klm925
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:54 PM

Windows 2000 Pro

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:14 PM

When you are booting your computer, right when the screen turns black and you see the Starting Windows and the white bar at the bottom, press the F8 key. This will bring up a menu . Select Last known good configuration. This will attempt to load windows with the last configuration that you had on a successful boot.

#5 klm925

klm925
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:27 AM

Thank you...tried it...still no go. :thumbsup:(

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:01 AM

THe last thing you can try is to boot up with the windows 2000 cd in the cdrom drive follow the prompts until it asks you what you would like to do. Have it try to repair your Windows installation.

It amy fix the problem, but you will quickly need to update your service packs right after, and maybe, reinstall some programs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users