Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate entries in Software Environment Startup Programs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GWN

GWN

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

My HDD seems to run forever upon startup. I have unchecked all unecessary programs using MS Config and also deleted unecessary programs in the Run keys from the Registry. I have listed the startup programs from the MSINFO32 function and found a very long list and mostly duplicate entries. I don't know how they got there but I think it explains my problem.
(see list posted below)

I am running a Dell desktop and have pasted the pertinent information.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can pare down the list of startup
programs and which of the duplicate entries I should keep short of
reinstalling Windows?
Thanks to the Forum for your help.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dell DE051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 03/01/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 203.55 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Software Environment Startup Programs

Edited by GWN, 25 November 2009 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

Please...edit your original post, remove all that msinfo32 report data...and I will then explain why you don't want to use that data for what you believe "startups" are.

Louis

#3 GWN

GWN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Please...edit your original post, remove all that msinfo32 report data...and I will then explain why you don't want to use that data for what you believe "startups" are.

Louis

Sorry Louis, didn't realize how long that data was.
I may not be on the right track as I have checked another
Windows XP box and see the same kind of duplicate entries.
However, I have checked a laptop than runs pretty good
and its startup entries are not duplicated and very short.

Thanks for the help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

Now this will be lengthy, but, hopefully make sense :flowers:.

1. Msinfo32 is a very good tool within Windows. It reflects an awful lot of data that users might be interested in, if they knew that it was there, but you don't want to try to use that data in a manner it was designed to be used. Msinfo32 is an information report...a status report...something obtained by taking headcount on the system.

2. Startups as defined by msinfo32...are not the typical entries normally referred to as "startups". The data in msinfo32 pretty much reflects the same data that the Autoruns program reflects, with a major difference. In Autoruns, the data is further categorized and tabbed into classifications which better reflect importance and function.

3. The items reflected as "startups" in msinfo32...include ALL items that initiate with boot. Such include hardware drivers, software drivers, Microsoft drivers and other key Windows files. Msinfo32 does not reflect the fact that there are distinctions...important distinctions...which mandate further classification. The items that msinfo32 depicts as "startups" ARE technically startup items (since they initiate with boot)...but they are NOT startups that a typical user should make a determination as to whether than process runs or not (since many of them are system processes necessary for proper XP functioning), some are drivers for hardware or Windows. Msinfo32 gives a comprehensive look (unsorted) at every item running at boot, regardless of origin or function. This is practically useless information in such an unstructured format, IMO.

4. The term "startups" as used by most persons...refers to typically optional items which the user has given permission (sometimes unwittingly) to run at boot.

These will normally be programs/updates/services installed by programs...which are nonessential, arbitrary, and whimsical in nature.. Even though there are important services that can be initiated here, the basic assumption is that the user makes the determination of what will run (not the system) and any item appearing as a "startup" can be removed from that category at the whim of the user.

Unfortunately, it seems that many users have no clue at all as to what their startup items are. Many mistakenly feel that msconfig provides them with an accurate picture of such...it just ain't so. Msconfig was not intended to be a startup manager, it was intended to be a tool which users can employ to troubleshoot possible boot problems/situations. It does not reflect all "startup" items which a user should be aware of.

5. There are programs/utilities which are called "startup managers" and these programs fill the vacuum which some believe (mistakenly) is filled by msconfig. The program that many deem best for a user who wants to examine/manage "startup items" is a program called Autoruns.

But Autoruns must be viewed with care...because, even though it reflects the same info that msinfo32 does...it reflects that info in various categories/tabs. The only tab in Autoruns...that concerns a user trying to get a handle on system startup items...is the [u]Logon tab[/u]. All others may be looked at (for whatever reason) but no items on any other tab should ever be disabled or deleted...unless instructed to do so by someone who is very knowledgeable and who is trying to clear up a system problem that relates to one of the other tabs.

6. Last point...always read the instructions for using a program...before doing anything with it.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Hope this gets you where you want to go.

To answer your question about duplicate or even erroneous entries in msinfo32...I wouldn't worry about it, it's a status report. If it's inaccurate, it does no harm...just makes the report longer or shorter. It's possible for the msinfo32 report to become damaged...there was an instance of that last week in the forum...in such event, it will be inaccurate, but harmless.

Louis

#5 GWN

GWN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:13 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx[/url]

Hope this gets you where you want to go.

To answer your question about duplicate or even erroneous entries in msinfo32...I wouldn't worry about it, it's a status report. If it's inaccurate, it does no harm...just makes the report longer or shorter. It's possible for the msinfo32 report to become damaged...there was an instance of that last week in the forum...in such event, it will be inaccurate, but harmless.

Louis

I will take a look at the startups with this program, thanks for your time.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 GWN

GWN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well, I used Autoruns (very nice software) and unticked as many items I was sure not necessary.
Still takes 2 minutes just to get a Windows logon screen then 4 to 5 minutes before the HDD stops
and I actually get mouse control to launch a program.
Its looking more and more like a complete re-install is coming. (wife is getting on my case as its
cramping her IM chatting and email activities)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

My uneducated guess...would be that it would help to run chkdsk /r on the system partition.

CHKDSK Utility - http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html, just the Starting chkdsk section.

Upon completion of that, I would do a defrag of same partition.

At that point, you will have done pretty much what can be done to ensure that it's not something blatantly controllable.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users