Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernal_Stack_inpage_Error/ C000021A

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiredanddrained

tiredanddrained

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

When I start my laptop, either it wont start on when it does after a certain amount of time (it allows me to go on-line etc) it crashes with Kernal_Stack_Inpage_Error. Having read a couple of suggestions it appeared that CHKDSK C:R was what i needed to do? Did this but got to stage 4 of 5 (9% then crashed with C000021A error). I guess i will need to probably start it up in safe mode but given I don't really not what to do, thereafter haven't as yet!!

Any help on what I might need to do would be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

Laptop is a Dell inspiron 1300 if that makes any difference...

It came up with a trojan threat the other day....have updated to latest AVG but this doesn't find anything.....?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

A crash in the middle of a chkdsk operation...would have me running a hard drive diagnostic.

From http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:
"0xC000021A:
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders."

If the hard drive diagnostic reflects no damage to the hard drive...I suggest a clean install or posting pertinent details about your infection at the BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/for...tml...whichever is the preference of the moment.

Louis

#3 tiredanddrained

tiredanddrained
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

sorry apologies but my knowledge of these things isn't great....when you refer to a 'hard drive diagnostic reflects no damage to the hard drive', how would I go about doing that? Is that the chkdsk bit that I did previously?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

No. Chkdsk is a good tool, but it has limitations that a diagnostic utility will not have. The chkdsk /r command is a first step to try to clear up various XP situations involving files, file structure, and hard drive aspects.

Once it's been determined that chkdsk r/ could not or did not fix the issue, the next logical step (IMO) is to determine who is the manufacturer of your hard drive and prepare to run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive in question.

Hard drive manufacturers (generally) provide diagnostic utilities for the drives they manufacturer/sell...because hard drive failure/problems are fairly common in computing.

This utility can normally be run from CD, these days. The utility is downloaded in the form of an .iso file...and then that file is burned to CD, using any of several programs.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm, this link provides a list of software which can be used to create the bootable CD from the .iso file...following the specific instructions for each respective program. Active@ Iso Burner is the one I use, it seems the easiest to me.

One list of known utilities available: Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#5 tiredanddrained

tiredanddrained
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

Many thanks for your help on this, so just to confirm, I need to:

Determine which hard drive manufacturer I have.
Then download that ISO file (assume there is only one for each type of drive?)
Then burn that to cd using one of the programs
Then open the file?

Most of this I can do, problem is that since I have chkdsk that failed to get past stage 4, this then tries to run everytime I start the pc up. I put the pc on now, it gets to the same point in the chkdsk bit and then just comes up with the C0000021A. I have tried to start it up in safe mode....choose the top option...start windows xp(?) and then it just comes up with loads of text (i assume sothing to do with what has been changed?) and then doesn't go any further...

How can I get it to get beyond this, so that I can get to the normal windows desktop, from which I can then look into the 'my computer', put the cd in to run it (and hopefully) find the problem?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

<<Then open the file?>>

No, you don't open the file once it's burned to CD and you have a bootable CD with a diagnostic program on it. Running the CD/diagnostic has nothing to do with Windows...in fact, the diagnostic probably won't run if you have Windows open, except for one of the Seagate tools. It literally doesn't matter if you can boot into Windows or not...when it comes to running a hard drive diagnostic.

First...go into the BIOS/Setup...and change the boot options so that the CD/DVD drive is the first option. If you don't do this, the system will simply try to boot from the hard drive...which is not what we want at this time. We want it to run the bootable CD you have made.

Once the boot options have been changed in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is first...place your CD in the CD/DVD drive and then press F10 and save the change that you have made in the boot order. The BIOS will save and then reboot.

After the system starts to boot, it will initiate the diagnostic for the hard drive. Please run the extended/long diagnostic, if a long and a short option are given. Do not elect any other option, if others are provided.

The output will be in the form of a code, which will be explained onscreen.

Let us know the results.

Louis

#7 tiredanddrained

tiredanddrained
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

Many thanks for sticking with me on this...sorry for asking what are probably rather stupid questions.

Will try and download the file to a cd tomorrow at work and then see how I get on. One last question...I have been on the dell website (typed in a refernece) and it has come up with drivers that are applicable for my laptop. It gives those below... I dont know what the hard drive would come under? Bios only seems to have one option but diognostics (this is the driver that I want?) has Graphical User interface version or Utility Partition Contents upgrade tool...one (I think) dowloads as an ISO file, the other (Utility Partition) downloads as a zip file....sound correct?

5.Categories of Drivers and Downloads

A.Applications

B.Audio

C.Bios

D.CD/DVD

E.Chipset

F.Communication

G.Diagnostics

H.Input Device Drivers

I.Network

J.SATA Drives

K.System Utilities

L.Video

Many thanks again

Phil

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

<<Many thanks for sticking with me on this...sorry for asking what are probably rather stupid questions.>>

The questions you ask...are undoubtedly far superior to the ones that I asked the first year that I had a computer...I was so unknowing at that time that I routinely pad $35 to a computer shop...because I thought installing Windows 95 was too comlex for me :thumbsup:. I have stories I could tell that would have everyone laughing...but now know more as the result of those "lessons" and I enjoy learning even more.

Knowledge of any sort is aquired slowly, if at all...unless one is a genius and the world was not made for them...you've done much better than this old man could have done at a similar stage/situation.

I have had many benefactors in life who have contributed to assisting me in my efforts...no reason not to try to pass that on to someone who may, in turn, pass it on :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users