Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best MP3 Players Under $50?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

I'm holiday shopping for an older relative. I'd like to get a good, easy to use MP3 player under $50. Since the gift recipient has somewhat poor eyesight (at least when trying to read small print) I'd like to get a player with an easy-to-read screen.

I'm not looking for frills here. No camera phone, no playing videos or anything like that. I just need a reliable music player. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

The "easy-to-read screen" is going to be tough -- screens are expensive. (Yes, I have to go looking for my reading glasses if I want to read my player's screen.)

Otherwise, you will have no trouble finding players up to 4GB if you go with a "no-name" unit, like Coby or GPX. I have several, which I mostly use for non-critical listening, like podcasts.

If you're willing to consider a refurbished unit, you can find several decent sized name brands in this price range -- like Creative or SanDisk. I've bought a couple directly from Creative, but I did get one that was defective and took about 6 weeks to get replaced.

Amazon, NewEgg and TigerDirect are all good places to look.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

4gig Creative Zen at newegg
Free shipping $49.99
Not sure for how long the sale lasts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16855102055
Recertified 30gig Zune for $69.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16855604031

Whole selection
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%2F+mp4+players

Edited by garmanma, 26 November 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. capneasy, I'll ask you first, since you own several of these gadgets. Do the MP3 players you mention handle playlists and personal mixes or do they only play back whole albums at a time?

Also, I assume I would just plug these to my desktop (Win XP) and drag/drop music directly onto the player, right?

#5 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

I reading a lot of good feedback on Sandisk, such as the Sansa. Screen is a bit small but you can't beat the price.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the tips. capneasy, I'll ask you first, since you own several of these gadgets. Do the MP3 players you mention handle playlists and personal mixes or do they only play back whole albums at a time?

Also, I assume I would just plug these to my desktop (Win XP) and drag/drop music directly onto the player, right?

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

The inexpensive "no-name" players might, or might not, handle playlists -- you'd have to check on the player. Also, some will handle a playlist that's made "on the fly" on the player, and not one imported from the computer.

The Creatives and SanDisks would almost certainly handle playlists, but I don't know all the models. Managing music in the 4 GB range would be challenging for drag-and-drop -- Creative provides software, I assume SanDisk does also, but there are plenty of 3rd party packages out there -- many are free.

While I don't have a Sansa (so I can't give a personal opinion) I know several friends who have them and all seem very happy.

But, yeah -- in this price range the screens are going to be small. :thumbsup:

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

Your best bet would be the Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB/4GB.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users