Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubled internet connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fergie815

fergie815

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hello,

I have a very annoying problem with my laptop. Toshiba, running Windows XP Pro SP2. I have a wireless connection and an ethernet connection, both of which appear to be working fine, but Internet Explorer refuses to connect. I have been working on this for hours! The IP address pings fine, google does not. I have ran multiple virus scans, malwarebytes, atf cleaner, superantispyware. My lastest virus scan says I'm clean. I can connect in safe mode with networking! It's very wierd. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/ipconfig.htm

Try this switch for ipconfig /all

Try it in normal windows and then again in safe mode.

If you show different dns server addresses in normal and safe mode, then those will be clues.

It looks from your description, like dns resolves in safe mode but not in normal windows.
You are right to start off looking for trojans and malware, but this can also be the result of an AV program that catches and "cleans" something but does not fix the damaged file or reg entry.

There are also several dozen other reasons for not working correctly but you need to check the simple local stuff first.

also try typing in a url like
http://74.125.53.100/
Which should take you to google.

#3 fergie815

fergie815
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

The DNS addresses are the same in safe mode and regular mode. I tried the google address and it didn't work either. IE8 says "it appears you are connected to the internet, but you should try to reconnect."

I should also mention that avira did find a tr/spy.gen trojan, but that was before I ran all those cleaners. I think you might be right about that virus damaging something. I think the virus is gone, but the damage is here to stay.

Thanks for the advice and let me know if there is anything else you can think to check or try.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

How do you connect to the net? Do you have a dsl or cable modem alone or do you have a wired or wireless router in front of them.
Reboot whatever it is.

If problem persist, you may want to read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

If the url with a ip address did not work, you probably have worse problems than dns lookups failing.

type this in at the command prompt:
telnet 74.125.53.100 80
If you get a blank screen type "GET" and hit enter
That's all caps and without the quotes.
You should get a recognizable html source page for google.com
If you don't, you don't have have a working network connection since that would work even if you had no dns resolver at all.

Do you have any working computers on the same network device? (Just to make sure we are only dealing with this single computer.) Does it have the same dns servers listed at the ipconfig /all screen?

#5 noddy2009

noddy2009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:40 AM

try going into ie then tools menu then internet options then security tab and reset all zones to default level .then close and restart ie .this has worked for me on several ocassions after virus infections. just try easy stuff first.

Edited by noddy2009, 26 November 2009 - 02:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users