Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Useless

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 reyak

reyak

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Ok, so I was online on my laptop looking for pictures of....trees or something, lol. Anyway, I got s virus, and not just a virus, a bloody plague! I was, after a few hours, successful at neutralizing it, but I still had a remnant or two, and no noticing them, for hours, Suddenly, it all comes back and screeches my laptop to a halt.

I worked on it as best I could, and eventually found a work around to get my System Restore running. It worked, and I got my old system back from about a month ago. to make a long story longer, I rebooted a few hours later to install an itunes update, and when it looked for the OS, a sys file was missing.

Not needing to save any data on the drive, I tried to reinstall the OS. The installation cd says there is no hard drive. I tried several HD recovery methods including HDD Regenerator, and neither worked.

Here is my question...finally... Is there any way to hook my laptop to my desktop pc as an extra hard drive? I have two external enclosures, and neither fit the drive, so if anything, It must be the laptop itself.

I cannot fix the problem without an operating system to fix it in. If it is truly just missing a few files, than I can replace them....in another OS.

Could someone help me? I'm completely perplexed, and have nothing whatsoever to work with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

Make and model of you lap top.

It is a good possibility that you need to install a SATA driver prior to the new OS install. This can be obtained by visiting the OEMs site and looking up you lap top. Or if you received a drivers disk with your lap top.

Edited by ThunderZ, 25 November 2009 - 05:27 PM.

#3 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Lovely, but without an OS, how would I get it there? I keep seeing the solution to the problem is to use the recovery console. Not usefull to me since the laptop was a second hand gift, and the original owners saved NO DISKS. They could barely check their "I-Mail"

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:34 AM

Yes you can connect the laptop HDD to your desktop to get files off of it. I don't recommend you install windows that way. You can download the drivers for the laptop from the manufactures website and you can use any windows installation that you have a license for (there should be a sticker on the laptop somewhere). If you post the make and model of the laptop we can walk you through the re-install process and provide links to the manufactures website for the drivers.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:32 AM

Lovely, but without an OS, how would I get it there?

You will need to boot with the OS CD in the optical drive. At a early point in the start-up process (still a black screen with white instructions) you will be asked if you need to install third party drivers to strike F6. It is at this point that you will install the SATA drives needed for the OS to see your hard drive.
Most times the OEM site assumes you have loaded them on a floppy. I believe you could also burn them to a CD but have not tried it this way.
Have an external USB floppy drive that works well for this.
At the point that it asks for the drivers, remove the OS CD and insert the one with the drivers. It may initially say none were found. Tell it to retry. If it finds and installs the drivers on the CD then it will then need the OS disk again to continue with the installation.

#6 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

Alright, here is where we are ATM.

Make: Gateway
Model: MA7

Remember, laptop was gifted without original OS installer disk...

I ran Vista PE and used a bunch of diagnostic tools. Most saw no HD at all, but one figured out that I have a corrupt partition MBR table. It lost me after partition, lol. What the heck is an MBR table?

Anyway, I am currently running Active Partition, (scanning now) hoping it will fix it,....

IF this works, should I install a few partitions for a few OSs In case I get into trouble again? The HD, when working, is more than large enough for a couple.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

MBR = Master Boot Record

It is completely up to you concerning a dual\multi-boot system.

You will most likely be needing this site for the needed drives.

#8 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

From EVERY other website;

Resolution

You can repair the MBR using Microsoft's standard utility - fixmbr or fdisk /mbr. Both methods rewrite the master boot code and leave the partition table intact.

For Windows XP/2000 users, follow these steps:

* Boot up with Windows Installation Disc as the boot up device.
* Enter Windows Recovery Console
* At the command prompt, type in: fixmbr

Why does EVERYONE assume I have the original disk?? I'm running all sorts of diagnostic tools, and havn't found a command prompt yet,...yes, I know what one looks like.

I'm down to my last cigarette, and I am going bald. My patience ran out about 3am this morning.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

<<Why does EVERYONE assume I have the original disk??>>

Well...these typical fixes weren't concocted for you specifically. They are written on the premise that anyone who has XP installed...has a MS XP CD, with access to the Recovery Console (which used to be true). They were not written for those who have systems requiring recovery/restore disks/partitions...or users who don't have a MS Genuine XP install CD.

Furthermore, you can download the Recovery Console in .iso file format...and then burn it CD, creating a bootable CD that will allow you to follow the instructions which appear to require access to XP Recovery Console commands.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm. Scroll down to How To Create Bootable CD...

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to Write ISO Files to CD - http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Louis

#10 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

ok, the recovery console doesn't work because it doesn't see a disk. There is no way to quit to the command prompt from there either. btw, I did have a recovery console I just found out on an XP installation disk. Good to know, but not helpfull at this point.

I have been able to manipulate a way into a command prompt from another program on another disk, but it is also unhelpfull since even FDisk an....the...other thing.... can't find the C Cdrive either.

I did use a program called something like active mrb or active partition or something and it found the C drive, but said nothing at all was wrong with it..... Everything I have found points to the MRB (don't remember the abreviation) table. The programs that can do something don't see it, and the ones that see it can do nothing. I feel like I am being punked.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

You need to give exact messages...reflecting actual data...since we cannot see error messages, etc. that might point the way to the problem.

Generally speaking...if the XP Recovery Console doesn't see a Windows install or a given system partition...I think it's safe to assume that the either the hard drive or the file system has problems.

Whether those problems are capable of being remedied by anything other than a wipe/clean install...and the nature of the problem...is something you haven't provided sufficient detail yet...to determine, IMO.

Louis

#12 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

You may need to put the drive into an enclosure meant for your particular hard drive, hook it up to a good PC, go to the Disk Managment and try to format the drive. If it is an MBR issue, this will fix it right up. If Windows on another PC doesn't recognize it, then the drive may have failed.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 28 November 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#13 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:57 AM

Ok, the story so far...

Was an XP OS. on a gateway laptop. Disk was approx. 150gigs

Disk was reformated this morning without error.

I used HDD Regenerator v1.41 with perfect results. 0 Bad sectors found. This took most of today.

I can add/delete partitions without error, currently there is one taking up most of the disk. It is active.

I have no enclosure that will fit this sized disk, so another computer is out. I do have Vista SE and Bart SE disks. (someone called them "Active" OSs or "Live". They are Windows Operating systems that will run on a CD and do very little besides a few basic recovery techniques.

I have a few extra hard drive lying around from desktop computers, and an enclosure that fits them.

Most diagnostics still point to the Master Boot Record being corrupted, but none of the programs I have tried will fix it, most don't even hint that they are capable of fixing one.

I have a system install disk for ME (non boot), XP (Boot), and Vista (Non Boot). Which means, I can only get to the installer for XP without first having an OS installed.

XP will not install, claiming I have no disk, it is installed incorrectly, or the hardware configuration is incorrect.

That's the info I know to tell you. Sorry if It took a while, but the scan took most of my day. As for the incomplete information, I am giving it as I get it,....and translate it, lol.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

<<Disk was reformated this morning without error. I used HDD Regenerator v1.41 with perfect results.>>

If the drive was reformatted...and Windows could not install after that...it seems clear to me.

FWIW: The diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer...merits more respect/credibility than the product you used, IMO. My understanding of bad sectors...is that such are not "repaired", they are merely worked around.

When a utility purports to "repair" bad sectors, it probably means that they are recovering and moving the files which may lie in bad sectors on the drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

<<XP will not install, claiming I have no disk, it is installed incorrectly, or the hardware configuration is incorrect.>>

Louis

#15 reyak

reyak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

If one program say there are no bad sectors than I believe it. My problem is the MBR, every single program that can see the disk tells me the problem is my MBR. Is there any program I can use that does not have to be installed that can fix my MBR?

I've got an extra hard drive enclosed via usb, I can replace it with a DVD drive. My Bart SE can explore and run programs from the enclosure, but cannot install anything. I need a program to repair or replace my Master Boot Record that does not have to be installed, or can run in DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users