Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cleanup! Link

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rathornton

rathornton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

Can anyone tell me where to download the cleanup! program used in these instructions? I have tried the link included in the email response above and have had no luck with that at all. The original site has even been removed. I am trying to cleanup a computer for a friend and it definitely has the SpySheriff problem plus a few more I am sure. I have not yet run HJT or even begun he instructions yet because I dio not know how crucial the CleanUp! software is to the overall process. I appreciate the reply from anyone on this forum.
Sorry if I have selected the wrong area to post this - chalk it up to the fact that I am an old fart! hahaha :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi rathornton,

I split your post out of the following thread, as we try to keep the HJT log threads a one on one affair as much as possible.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/New_Comp-t27295.html

The link to the Cleanup download page worked for me. What happens when you try to go to that website? Do you get a "page cannot be displayed" message or just what exactly?

It's possible the HOSTS file has been hijacked so you can't access that page, or more likely, this infection rewrites a system file that causes all sorts of problems, including running applications.

This is a very complex infection and while I admire your willingness to help your friend out, I suggest you post a HijackThis log from the affected machine and we can help you figure it out. No two machines are alike, what has gotten on each machine is usually different, and this infection itself changes rapidly, so what works for one log thread doesn't always work for you.

And no, Cleanup itself isn't neccessary for getting rid of this infection. It's just a convenient way of cleaning up Temp, Temporary Internet Files and other files that are no longer needed, taking up disk space and are folders that malware commonly hides some files in.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:09 PM

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

:thumbsup: