Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File folders--strange

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gvan

gvan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Running WinXP home.w/ svc pack 3, using 2.75g memory
Because of very long (growing longer) virus checker time, I started looking at my hard drive file folders, and found numerous of them had long names with a series of assorted letters and numbers. I am not familiar with them and would like to eliminate them if I can without messing things up. Also I hope that would make my virus checker operate in much shorter time. I am using Computer Associates virus program, and the time has gone from about 2 hours to as much as (last night) 10 hours to run. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, gvan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

This is the way that I reason...if the files were created by a program I am using (such as an AV program), how do I determine that such files are not necessary to the proper functioning of the program?

What if deletion has no impact...or worse, increases scan time?

Something is wrong, 10 hours is much too long for an AV scan. I think I'd be worrying more about what could create a more inefficient AV scan, rather than trying to shorten the time.

I'd try an uninstall/reinstall of the AV program first...then I'd try a different AV program.

CA is far from the only AV program around that does the job.

I have over a million files on this system...a scan of every partition takes about 2.5 hours.

Louis

#3 gvan

gvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

That sounds so logical I feel stupid for not thinking of it. Thanks I will see about doing just that and see how it goes. You are right about the AV should go much faster, and it used to do so. I just haven't really looked at it recently, as I have it run in the late evening, so all I do is check in the morning to see all is well.
I appreciate the fast reply. Thank you,
gvan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users