Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could someone explain NT backup?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bettei

bettei

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

I have XP Media Edition 2005 which came with all bundled software. I read in another thread about backing up XP with something called NT backup. And I wondered if this would help restore a couple things missing on my computer due to an improper backup. (I was told)

I used to have a slide volume control near the clock and cannot restore this because when I follow the instructions to do that, I am told "it was not installed". And the SD media card reader no longer works. Since I do not have an actual XP cd disk, I cannot just reinstall XP. All I have is the backup disks for a system restore.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

What software...was used to create the backup...you would like to restore?

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

I don't think the question you are asking has any bearing on what your actual problem is.

Reading between the lines I am guessing:
1) you have a computer made by someone like Dell, sony, toshiba or HP/Compaq.
2) If you have a set of disks marked "system recovery" or something similar, the actually do have xp mediacenter 2005 on them along with all the bundled software that originally came with the system. It will not say so on the disks.

3) the SD media reader came with the computer and the drivers for it are available on the OEM's web site.

I have no idea if it is a desktop or a laptop, but the sd media reader and the horizontal volume control make me guess,,,, HP/Compaq desktop

If so, you will also have a recovery disk maker that can be hacked to make more.. It would be 2 dvd's or 7 cd's.

So how are my guesses?

BTW: If microsoft ever makes a usable and reliable backup program, it will be for the first time.
If you really need a free or cheap backup program we can help you find one.

#4 bettei

bettei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

Yes, its a HP desktop computer. And I did not want to do a full system restore just to solve 2 minor problems. And I just followed the instructions on making the set of backup disks....3 DVD's in all.

I guess my question is, is there any way just to repair the two things that don't work without wiping everything else on my computer? Because that is what I thought those backup disks did, restore it back to the day I got it. If I am wrong on that, please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by bettei, 26 November 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

<<Because that is what I thought those backup disks did, restore it back to the day I got it. If I am wrong on that, please let me know.>>

Restore/recovery disks (in any form) are not the same thing as a backup. These disks are more like "Let's start all over again" and whatever is on them is not normally accessible for repair purposes. It's all or nothing.

A backup is made with a program which is probably installed in XP...and, depending on the program, allows users to restore files in a singular or wholesale manner...to either the original locations or any other storage area.

Louis

#6 bettei

bettei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes, I gathered that myself. So are you saying that without an actual XP CD, there is no way to repair one or two items you wish to? That is why I asked about the Nt backup, or if you knew any way of fixing those two things another way.

I wondered if Microsoft had a link to a certain driver that would restore the volume control. And some autorun or something like that that would restore the SD card slot.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Well, first of all...there's no guarantee that XP can fix whatever might be wrong.

Any hardware item (e.g., media card reader) could be a hardware failure.

As for your slide volume control...since you have Media Center 2005...there seems to me a possibility that the disappearance might be linked to something in Media Center, rather than with the typical Windows driver scenarios. I don't have MCE, so I don't know.

<<...because when I follow the instructions to do that,...>>

What instructions might those be? If you post a link, we all will know what you are talking about.

Volume controls are (typically) installed when the appropriate audio drivers are installed. You can uninstall your current audio drivers and then install replacements...and see if that overcomes the volume control item.

If your other USB devices work (I'm assuming that this card reader is a USB 2.0 device) work...maybe you ought to try switching the ports which you connect to.

In any case...it seems that you started off...looking for the wrong possible cures.

Driver problems...and both of your situations look like possible driver issues to me...are not dependent on Windows for resolution. There's no need for a backup, etc.

What you may need to do is simply uninstall the drivers for your audio device and your card reader...and then reinstall either the same drivers which previously worked or current updates, which Ken pointed to.

What model system is this (HP what xxxx)? Do you know how to look up the drivers for your system at the HP website?

Louis

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

The more detail you give the better our advice becomes :thumbsup:

I actually have a compaq v6000 that I just did a reinstall from an ordered set of recovery dvd's with windows media center 2005.

I have a client with a HP m7060 I just created the recovery dvd's for, also WMC 2005, and have a complete wipe and restore plus backed up documents and personal files scheduled for.

If you want an OOB (out of box) setup with all the software (including the useless junk) With the model number and maybe the serial number/ service tag, we can point you towards the step by step. If you need something else, you have to give us enough clues to tell what that is.

If you just want the volume thingy back tell us whether you use the hp keyboard that came with the system which has a horizontal volume control, or a remote (which some mediacenter pc's came with) and every other detail of the system since you may not recognize a relevant detail.

And also check the audio properties in control panel, sounds and audio devices, and see if the little radio button is checked to "place volume icon in the taskbar". The simple things can be elusive.

The media reader software varies from model to model, and I have killed it on purpose in a few since some early models make every slot in the thing have a drive letter as well as the camera mount, which confuses the user. The models of hp that have media center installed in them are often sold as "media center computers" and include the multi card reader, a camera and a built in dock for it, a tv tuner card and mpeg capture card or software or both. The complex mix of OEM software and WMC can often leave a complete recovery to OOB as the least painful option when some major component stops working.

The drivers page for your specific model should have the drivers for that component.

There might indeed be a way to repair or re-enable the items you are missing, but you have to describe them in a way that allows us to figure out what to do. It is only our wide experience with thousands of computers that made the previous guesses possible.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 27 November 2009 - 01:49 PM.

#9 bettei

bettei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

I have a HP Pavillion a 1560 n, system number EX 278AA-Aba. Software build # 63 NAem MPA 2. XP Service ID 080 306. My USB port works fine, it is the SD Media card reader that no longer works automatically. By that I mean I used to insert the card and I got a wizard that popped up to ask me what I wanted to do. I should clarify that the card reader does work....it's just that I have to go to my computer and click on my H drive (which is the card reader) and open it from there. It is missing that automatic step it had when it was new.(which was nice). It isn't a big deal since it does still work, but if there is an simple solution to fixing it, that would be great.

And as for the volume control. I googled the problem quite a few times, and followed those instructions about restoring a volume control. And I did just go to the audio devices and checked that box, and I now have a horn type speaker icon in the task bar. I was positive I had done that before too.???? And yes, I use the HP keyboard that came with it. It's a Realtek Hd Audio output.

If you know of a simple solution to the broken link to that SD slot, that would be good. It is a small problem to bother you with, but it has made me curious as to what I did to make it stop working. I am learning things as I go along....but I have a long way to go! It wouldn't be worth doing a full restore just for those things IMO.
Thanks

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

ok here is a couple of links that might be useful in a general way.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...ng=en&cc=us

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...592&lang=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3189592

From your description, what you are missing is the autorun function. There is a chance there was an antivirus update, and HP software update or a fortunate coincidence that turned this off for you. In the last year, win32.autorun viruses have reached epidemic levels There are over a hundred different names for autorun generic varients. I spent a lot of time over the last few years, editing registries to turn this function off in winxp.

As the above links show, your card reader is actually a usb device. It is probably connected direct to one of the usb headers on the mainboard internally.

You can try right-clicking on the drive letter when you have a card in it, choose properties, and choose enable or something similar, but I can't check it since I have all mine turned off at the registry since I stick my usb drives in a lot of infested systems and must scan them every time I use them.

Microsoft announced plans to turn off autorun for devices other than CD's but I am not sure that has happened yet for XP.

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009...-landscape.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users