Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell PC will not boot up correctly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tursup

tursup

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

hello, my dell PC will not boot up correctly, everytime i try to boot it up, it gives a screen saying it did not boot up correctly and gives me 5 choices of how to boot up, but if i pick any of them it will go to the windows XP loading screen and just send me straight back to the dell loading screeen, which sends me to the booting screen in an infinite cycle. The only thing i have done lately that could have caused this was installing a driver that lets a PS3 controller work on the computer, but it worked on another computer, so i think it is something else, just thought i would mention it since i have no idea why my computer is messing up. Also the computer does not beep once at all during this process. Also when it is going from the windows XP load screen back to the dell load screen the CD drives flashes 3 times.

(of course i am typing this on a another computer)

Edited by tursup, 25 November 2009 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tursup

tursup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

hello, while it was doing the chkdsk thing it got to step four and around 23% it gave me two error messages and stopped checking, they were "the disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters in file 15206 of name ." also the same thing but with the number 15207. It started to beep when this happened and it beeped for a long time so i don't know how many beeps it was, but it did not stop. The beeps sort of sounded like ca-ching, they where close together, then it would pause for about a second or two then do it again.

Edited by tursup, 26 November 2009 - 12:15 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

In that case I think you should run a diagnostic test on your hard drive.

What model number is your Dell PC?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Generic info on using the Dell diagnostics partition:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~deke/laptopsuppo...s/d600/diag.htm

and the official version:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst.../en/SM/diag.htm

#6 tursup

tursup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

i'm not sure if i got the right number, it is X10-60264 and it is a dell dimension 3000. i hope i got the right information.

I did the diagnostics and for a "Fail return code-7"

Edited by tursup, 26 November 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Fail return code-7 means yer drive is toast or failing. If the dell warranty is out then the warranty is out on the drive.

Back up the C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\
and all directories under it while logged on as another account with administrator privileges, to an external drive, usb key or network drive and you can copy back favorites, documents and outlook pst or mbx files depending on your version or if you use outlook, after the reload is done.

Replace the drive and use your recovery cd/dvd to reload to factory "out of box".

In theory you could also use acronis or clonezilla to image the existing drive (including the dell utility and dell recovery partitions) and reload to a larger drive, but if there are errors or virii on your current install, they will transfer to the new one.

If you have the full set of recovery OS cd's from dell, you could back up your stuff and try the drive image first. If it fails to make the image (due to too many bad sectors or something) or fails to restore, you can then go the "out of box" route. The dell often does not offer an actual "out of box" restore from the os "restore" disk, since it does not recreate the recovery partition on a new drive... but making individual partition images and recreating them in the right order should work but can get a bit complex.

btw: Official dell support page. If they think you will ever have to replace the drive, they give no indication of it here. But the current Dell philosophy seems to be that if your werranty expires, yer screwed.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...nt?docid=181316

#8 braddock

braddock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

:thumbsup:

hello, my dell PC will not boot up correctly, everytime i try to boot it up, it gives a screen saying it did not boot up correctly and gives me 5 choices of how to boot up, but if i pick any of them it will go to the windows XP loading screen and just send me straight back to the dell loading screeen, which sends me to the booting screen in an infinite cycle. The only thing i have done lately that could have caused this was installing a driver that lets a PS3 controller work on the computer, but it worked on another computer, so i think it is something else, just thought i would mention it since i have no idea why my computer is messing up. Also the computer does not beep once at all during this process. Also when it is going from the windows XP load screen back to the dell load screen the CD drives flashes 3 times.

(of course i am typing this on a another computer)

Try this mybe will help you XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. Do Not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, Do Not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Edited by braddock, 27 November 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#9 tursup

tursup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

my pc is fixed now, thanks for all the help. : )

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

What fixed it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users