Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

updating a driver

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hello.

I was just reading your artical on "how to update a device driver" and wondered why you don't use the "click to update this driver" on the driver tab..

I must admit its about time i started to look at updating drivers , i don't think i have updated any drivers in years on this xp machine.

But i will follow your artical, to see if there is a new driver update for my microsoft keyboard...

But would this come through Via the Windows automatic updates

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, since this is related to the Vista OS. ~ Animal
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hi :huh:.

Personally, I don't agree with the guidance cited, for various reasons. Others may not share my perspectives :huh:.

1. If a driver is working properly and there are no functional problems in a system...IMO, there is no logical reason to update that driver, just because a new one has been issued. New drivers are typically issued to overcome known problems or to provide functionality that previous drivers may not have given. If your system is working without problems, I see no reason to take a chance of upsetting by replacing drivers/software which works.

2. I believe in uninstalling the current drivers...before attempting to install a replacement. In my limited experience, trying to install a good driver...on top of one which is damaged (often the reason that the driver becomes a problem)...is not good judgment. I believe that removing/uninstalling the damaged driver first...provides the best chance of a successful install of its replacement.

<<I must admit its about time i started to look at updating drivers , i don't think i have updated any drivers in years on this xp machine.>>

There is no known law that I know of...that indicates that time is a key factor in the updating of drivers (or bioses)...in spite of the fact that some seem to think there is.

A driver update is not akin to a Windows critical update, which should be installed as a security-bolstering measure.

<<But would this come through Via the Windows automatic updates.>>

As I understand it...the auto update service should never install drivers, only critical updates. A driver is not a critical update, it's purely optional...just as any number of other updates which can be found at Windows Updates are.

I would further advise every user...to not use the Windows Updates site to update drivers.

If a user wants to update a driver, he/she should go to proper website and find/download such. In the case of users who purchase laptops and "name brand" desktop systems (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.), the proper place to get drivers is from the system manufacturer's Support/Drivers section of their website.

For users who build a system or install a motherboard in a system...the place for drivers is the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Louis

#3 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hi :huh: .

Personally, I don't agree with the guidance cited, for various reasons. Others may not share my perspectives :huh: .

1. If a driver is working properly and there are no functional problems in a system...IMO, there is no logical reason to update that driver, just because a new one has been issued. New drivers are typically issued to overcome known problems or to provide functionality that previous drivers may not have given. If your system is working without problems, I see no reason to take a chance of upsetting by replacing drivers/software which works.

Good point , i did wonder about that myself, i suppose its a matter of personal choice,

I believe in uninstalling the current drivers...before attempting to install a replacement. In my limited experience, trying to install a good driver...on top of one which is damaged (often the reason that the driver becomes a problem)...is not good judgment. I believe that removing/uninstalling the damaged driver first...provides the best chance of a successful install of its replacement

Good point again, i will remember this one...

<<But would this come through Via the Windows automatic updatesPosted Image.>>

Sorry through the optional updates i should have said, which i have had the odd driver update through recommended updates, on this vista computer.

I would further advise every user...to not use the Windows Updates site to update drivers.

this leads me back to my question "why not use the update driver tab" in device manager.

I will print this out Hamluis, for when i come to update a driver,
Thanks for the tips, i should not have any problems doing it this way... :huh:
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

The "update driver" tab doesn't necessarily remove the old driver before attempting to install the newer one (I think). It seems to be merely a "fetch/install" mechanism, when I prefer "take out the garbage, then install" :huh:.

Louis

#5 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

The "update driver" tab doesn't necessarily remove the old driver before attempting to install the newer one (I think). It seems to be merely a "fetch/install" mechanism, when I prefer "take out the garbage, then install" :huh: .

Louis

Thanks louis, i've just been into device manager, having a look around.
If you do click on the "update driver tab" and a driver is found, but you do not install it this way. or is it installed automatically

Would this be a quick way to see if there is a driver update, rather than trying to see if there was an update from the manufactures web-site

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

I really cannot say...I've never used that function (seems funny, but it's true).

I didn't know much when I first bought a computer...but I knew how to find my motherboard drivers CD and I knew how to download drivers from the motherboard manufacturer...so I never bothered with that :huh:.

I tried updating via Windows Update...only because I wanted to see how it would possibly mess the system up (it did).

Louis

#7 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

I didn't know much when I first bought a computer...but I knew how to find my motherboard drivers CD and I knew how to download drivers from the motherboard manufacturer...so I never bothered with that :huh: .

Louis

Whats that "motherboard drivers CD"
I would not know where to even begin, to find those, and when you would need to update them and why.

But going back to the update drivers, even though i do not have any problems, isen't it best to have updated drivers in case something does go wrong.
To avoid all the troubleshooting trying to find out what is wrong.
Though i suppose you would just look in device manager to find these things out...

Here's a question, what are the main drivers you should
keep updated, if you did not wan't to wait till there was a problem

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

LOL, you can do as you like...but I am not going to try to assert that there is a relationship between older/newer drivers...and the problems that arise from driver damage/corruption.

<<But going back to the update drivers, even though i do not have any problems, isen't it best to have updated drivers in case something does go wrong.>>

Well...is it better go buy a new transmission for your auto...if there's nothing wrong with the current one?

IMO, most drivers create problems when they become damaged (what is called corrupted)...there's no discrimination among file corruption regarding newer/older files, when they placed in service, and other non-factors. A driver or file becomes corrupted/damaged, whether it's the latest or the oldest. If there is no file corruption...IMO, there is little reason to replace a driver...situations requiring such just don't normally happen these days without file damage.

<<Though i suppose you would just look in device manager to find these things out...>>

Device Manager is useful, but it often won't point out situations where a driver (of any sort) has suffered damage and is not acting as it should. Device Manager won't point the way to a BSOD or a .dmp file...but those are the two keys that are available for use when dealing with BSODs. If you look it up anwhere, you will find that a large number of BSODs are due to driver problems (those problems appear after the driver has become damaged).

Anyway, Device Manager is useful but it cannot be expected to do everything relative to hardware drivers...and it doesn't. In fact, quite often Device Manager doesn't even properly reflect failed hardware items (in particular USB, NICs, and hard drives).

<<Here's a question, what are the main drivers you should keep updated, if you did not wan't to wait till there was a problem...>>

I'm sorry but I don't replace my transmission...until the mechanic tells me that it needs to be done :huh:.

When I do a clean install...I don't download new drivers because I have all of my originals (which work)...in a folder where I keep an installable copy of every program that I've used or think I might use again.

Sorry, I just don't pretend that "updating drivers" is an essential routine task that should be done on any scheduled/periodic basis.

Some one here will present the viewpoint that you seem to desire, just hold on a bit :huh:.

Louis

#9 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Well put and well explained louis....

Funny enough i put a post on a microsoft forum before, i would have used this forum, but really did not want to get confused with different suggestions
of trying to fix it.
But i might as well have, as i been given a huge list of various tasks to do, and one of them was drivers funny enough

These maybe needed :

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the most current.
Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down the make and complete model of your
video adapter - double click - Driver's tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this
may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall - REBOOT
this will refresh the driver stack

So when i reboot louis, it will install the driver again, is that what happens by the sounds of it.
O by the way the problem i seem to have lately, is a lot of "error on page" bottom left of the screen little yellow icon.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Well...why don't we start at the beginning...with whatever the problem originally was...now that it seems the suggestion to update drivers was made in response to someone's vision?

What happened and what prompted a suggestion by anyone to update drivers as a cure?

<<So when i reboot louis, it will install the driver again, is that what happens by the sounds of it.>>

Yes, if Windows has it on file. XP, at this point, probably has drivers for everything but systems made within the last year (just a guess). Those drivers that XP doesn't have on file...must be installed from CD or downloaded/installed from the hard drive.

Louis

#11 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Well...why don't we start at the beginning...with whatever the problem originally was...now that it seems the suggestion to update drivers was made in response to someone's vision?

What happened and what prompted a suggestion by anyone to update drivers as a cure?

Not a problem as such, and it did not seem to affect anything that i noticed.
Was that i was recieving a lot of "errors on page " even well known sites, so i thought i would post the question on the microsoft forum "why am i getting a lot of "errors on page"
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Windows > windows 7 forums > internet explorer
user name = carl101

This is on my vista laptop by the way, not XP..

So if you manage to find it, you can see that its one in a long list of troubleshooting steps.
I am just going to reset the TIP/IP stack, and then the next lot is the drivers, but i am not sure about that one..

<<So when i reboot louis, it will install the driver again, is that what happens by the sounds of it.>>

Yes, if Windows has it on file. XP, at this point, probably has drivers for everything but systems made within the last year (just a guess). Those drivers that XP doesn't have on file...must be installed from CD or downloaded/installed from the hard drive.

As i mentioned This is a vista laptop, and the operating system was pre-installed when i bought it, 6 months ago..

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users