Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie and also Questions about Artemist virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hayley I

Hayley I

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi there my name is Hayley and I am from Ontario Canada. I am new to this site and just looking for somewhere safe to ask computer questions. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and yesterday I got the Artemist Trojan virus which is now a quarantined item in McAfee. I got a warning from windows saying that my computer had 85 infected files, I did NOT download the program they suggested although it was very difficult not to as they made it hard to navigate away from the screen.

My question is why is this virus hiding as a windows program and has anyone else come across this warning I believe it said something like your computer has 83 infected files would you like to remove? and where did it come from? My computer is brand new so I have not downloaded any programs and I am always careful when downloading. The exact virus name came up as

Artemist!54B011DAA03E

Has anyone has any experience with this virus...I was able to boot up in safe mode and do a system scan and find the virus and everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks to anyone who responds, also I am new here so if I have done this incorrectly please advise.

Thanks
Hayley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hello Hayley and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.

I have sent you a PM
Good luck and please be patient waiting for a response
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users