Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help combo fixed crashed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 danmerc

danmerc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I ran combo fix in safe mode and I got a blue screen. I tried to run it again and it says I have an active file scanner and run at my own risk. I really was not having many problems with the computer I was just running this for procautions. so I just want to remove it but I have the following problem.

Combo fix created two folders on my C: drive.

One file is Combofix and the icon looks like the my computer icon. I am afraid to delete this file becuase underneath it is my c drive again even though the "folder" is on my c drive. really weird.

The other folder is named with a bunch of random names and numbers.

Can I delete these folders? Will I delete my C: drive?

I don't want to run combo fix again I am afraid it will do more harm than good at this point. I am running Norton IS 2009 and spybot teatimer on Windows XP media center SP3.

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

Read this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...amp;hl=combofix

#3 danmerc

danmerc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

thanks I posted there. Now I feel really stupid

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

No problem.

At least the guys in the other forum are prepared to help, anyway.

Good luck!

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

I ran combo fix in safe mode and I got a blue screen. I tried to run it again and it says I have an active file scanner and run at my own risk. I really was not having many problems with the computer I was just running this for procautions. so I just want to remove it but I have the following problem.

Combo fix created two folders on my C: drive.

One file is Combofix and the icon looks like the my computer icon. I am afraid to delete this file becuase underneath it is my c drive again even though the "folder" is on my c drive. really weird.

The other folder is named with a bunch of random names and numbers.

Can I delete these folders? Will I delete my C: drive?

I don't want to run combo fix again I am afraid it will do more harm than good at this point. I am running Norton IS 2009 and spybot teatimer on Windows XP media center SP3.

Please help

Hi danmerc,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

I provide support for Norton products only, so I can not assist you with Combofix. However, I did want to let you know that both the "SD Helper" and "TeaTimer" functions in Spybot are incompatible with Norton Internet Security. Having these options enabled can cause a software conflict and can also lead to threats getting through and infecting your system. I would strongly advise you to disable these features in SpyBot.

Secondly, one of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton Internet Security is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. The 2010 version of Norton internet Security has been released and you can update for free by visiting the Norton Update Center at the link below. The update is quick and should only take a few minutes to complete.

Norton Update Center

Be sure to disable the Spybot features I mentioned above performing the update. After the update is complete, manually run LiveUpdate and when the updates are complete, perform a "Full System Scan" to check for threats.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users