Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless card on Sony Vaio hates my modem/router... but ONLY my modem/router

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sycorax Rock

Sycorax Rock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have a Sony Vaio NR-series Notebook with an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection (802.11a/b/g/n). It has absolutely no problem connecting to any wireless network - the one down at the coffee shop works fine, the one at my girlfriend's house connects with no problem.... in fact, the only network it doesn't like seems to be, well, mine. The one conveniently located in my bedroom.

Not only that, but attempting to connect to the house's network seems to crash it - meaning, whenever I try to sign on, my roommates can't connect until they unplug the modem/router/yaddah yaddah... The cable guy came to look at the problem, and he said my computer was acting like a "kill switch", which he'd never seen happen before. Luckilly, the router's in my room, so I've got an old school cable running from the back of my laptop to the Linksys router.

Here's the really weird thing: About a month ago, my laptop magically connected to the server, with no problems. "Farewell, clunky old cable!", I cried. Everything worked great for a few weeks. Then, I brought my laptop to a public wireless hub, and connected fine and dandy, and then brought it home... to discover the problem had come back with a vengeance.

So... this is weird, right? Do I replace the WLAN? Do I get a new router? Is there something I can do to reset it? Is it a malware issue?

More to the point: does ANYONE really understand why wireless networks act the way they do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users