Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just need to know a few things about this card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hey guys , i need to know whats the pixel shader and vertex shader of this card.
Becasue am being living with a really old card(geforce 4 mx 440) i never really cared about all this.

See here:

Support for Microsoft®DirectX®9.0 programmable vertex and pixel shaders in hardware
DirectX®9.0 Vertex Shaders
Vertex programs up to 65,280 instructions with flow control
Single cycle trigonometric operations (SIN & COS)
DirectX®9.0 Extended Pixel Shaders
Up to 1,536 instructions and 16textures per rendering pass
2nd generation F-buffer technology accelerates multi-pass pixel shader programs with unlimited instructions
32 temporary and constant registers
Facing register for two-sided lighting
128-bit, 64-bit & 32-bit per pixel floating point color formats
Multiple Render Target (MRT) support
Complete feature set also supported in OpenGL®via extensions

It does not say pixel shader 3.0 or any thing so am not sure what pixel/vertex shader it has.

Also i got a 300 watt psu and cnet says it needs 300-350 watts.
Do remember this is a generic brand psu.

More info: http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/products/p...pid=g&grp=2

Edited by starcraftmaster, 25 November 2009 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Vertex operations and shader operations are two different things. Shader operations are the number pixel shader operations that can be performed per second. Pixel shaders are programs that are run on the GPU to add some visual effect to a scene. The number of shader operations per second indicates how quickly the card can perform these operations and, in turn, render a scene. Newer games are becoming increasingly shader intensive and this number is becoming more and more important. A GeForce 440 can do 550 MOperations per second, in contrast, the Radeon X800 XT can do 8000 MOperations per second and the Radeon 5750 can do 504000 MOperations per second. Vertex operations reflects the cards ability to process geometry using vertex shaders. Generic PSU's are not that good, so if you have a 300W PSU and the card takes 300W, you may have problems. The Radeon X800 XT uses Shader Model 2.0 since it uses the R420 core. ATI has pulled driver support for the X800XT since it is now considered a legacy product.

3939.png

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:10 AM

are you sure the Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE 256Mb DDR3 VIVO is a shadermodel 2.0 ? i thought it is 3.0. does it matter if i have a 3.0 or 2.0(if i am right it makes games look better ? )
can you tell me where you got the info from ? or can you tell from the website i gave you ?

and what do you think is better
Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH 128Mb(which has 3.0 shader) VS Radeon X800 XT PE 256Mb DDR3 VIVO

leadtek:http://www.leadtek.com/eng/3d_graphic/specification.asp?pronameid=160&lineid=1&act=2

Edited by starcraftmaster, 26 November 2009 - 01:58 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Shaders not only make the game look better, they make it run better. More pixel shaders equals more performance. According to this, the Radeon you chose would have better performance. I'm assuming that you're using PCI-Express cards and not AGP. The GeForce 6 series, introduced shortly after the Radeon, has shader model 3. The R420 core is simply an extension of the R300 core. Neither card will offer good gaming performance with recent games, but for older titles and general tasks, they will do fine.

Resources:

GPUReview
Beyond3D - ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition / PRO Review - Page 8
Wikipedia - Radeon R420
Guru3D - ATI Radeon X800 XL - 512 MB (Note the graph in the middle listing the shader model as 2.0b)

Edited by DJBPace07, 26 November 2009 - 03:25 PM.

3939.png

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

This is the agp version.

last two qeuestions:would a 1ghz cpu bottleneck the graphics card(make it slow)
and is the card worth $20 aus(close to american money i think)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

On a PC, there is always a limiting factor in terms of bottlenecks. The CPU can be a bottleneck when it is not fast enough to keep a GPU supplied with frames to be displayed. The GPU can be a bottleneck when it cannot display those frames at an acceptable rate. Both the CPU and GPU in your PC are old and slow, so bottlenecking will not be too much of a factor as there isn't much performance there anyway. If you're performing general tasks and not gaming, bottlenecks will not be an issue since, usually, only games and other high performance applications cause bottlenecks. Keep in mind that old CPU's don't handle data as efficiently as new CPU's, so the older the processor, the less performance you will have. For instance, a Core 2 Solo 1GHz. will perform faster than a Pentium 3 or 4 1GHz. due to architecture differences.

3939.png

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

thanks for all the help DJBPace07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users