Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the most "intuitive" and at the same time FREE firewall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:33 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for such a firewall, that wouldn't ask me all the time about what should it do according to another application, and wich is FREE at the same time. Protection level should be best as possible (in its class).

Thanks in advance, people.

Sincerely,
rhino1366

Edited by rhino1366, 25 November 2009 - 05:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

I have used Comodo products on my PC for years now but the latest version Comodo v3.13.120417.573 is easily the best one yet. Comodo have taken note of some of the past years releases having a lot of pop ups. Since installing it a week ago I have had four pop ups in total, all of them in the first 24hrs and all easily connected to what I was doing at the time and therefore easy to decide how to respond to them. A great firewall is now without doubt in my opinion the best in the world and it is totally free. Comodo now comes with an option for their own AV but if you prefer to keep your present one then just untick the option during the installation process.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, bluesjunior... You're talking things about COMODO quite confidently. Might be, it's a good and well known product. But, the reason I'm requesting a highly-intuitive firewall (with a good scores), is that I'm administrating a family computer, with not too high-end users onboard. Plus, recently, I've acquired a new, personal computer / PC for myself... and I, might be, won't be able to look onto what is happening, with a family one, all the time. So, thank you very much for your kind sharing and support / review of what is the COMODO, and with what it should be eaten... but, at this date, the best thing I've found on my own - is Agnitum FREE. Any other, better suggestions?

Thanks again, for reviewing and sharing. Not an exception, that I'll be using COMODO some day later on.

P.S. CSC (COMODO System Cleaner) did a pretty well job of ripping my computer several months ago... had to restore. Just for you to know.

Well appreciated,
rhino1366

*** MY SHARE *** ==> Security Tests

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

P.S. CSC (COMODO System Cleaner) did a pretty well job of ripping my computer several months ago... had to restore. Just for you to know.

Well appreciated,
rhino1366

*** MY SHARE *** ==> Security Tests

Have to disagree with you about the above Rhino1366, Comodo CSC didn't do anything other to your computer than scan it. You did the damage by deleting things that it found. If you do a short search on these forums you won't have to look far to find warning after warning about inexperienced users attempting to use registry editors. No matter how much you think you know, using a registry cleaner of any kind is asking for trouble.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:59 PM

A good option is just Windows Firewall. :thumbsup:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

The Windows Firewall only protects you from incoming stuff. You cannot block anything from going out if you don't want it to.

Several firewalls have different modes of operation, but they all have a "learning curve". As you use it, the questions become fewer. You can greatly reduce or eliminate the questions by presetting the rules for those situations you know about and preset it to block anything else, and of course have the firewall create logs of everything. That would stop the questions. Then, if someone has a problem running something, you could change the rule for that particular instance.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

An extra measure of security is to add a router for a hardware firewall
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users