Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachines t2882 weird power supply issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ok computer

ok computer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

I'm trying to repair an eMachines T2882 for a friend. It boots up but behaves erratically (mostly very slow, with an alert message popping up about power to the USB device). The strangest part is that when it is turned OFF the light around the power switch blinks orange and there is an audible clicking that accompanies the blinking. It can't be stopped without disconnecting the power.

It sounded like a power supply problem to me, so I tried switching it out: The first one I tried did nothing - no lights, no clicks, no whirs, as though there was no power, but it was a considerably lower wattage PS (150, I think, compared to the 250 that came out of it) so maybe that was the problem? Next I put in a 350W power supply from a working system. It looked great - the light around the power switch glowed green - but when I tried to turn it on nothing happened, and I mean nothing: No fan, no video, nothing but the green glowing light around the power switch.

One might say that the motherboard is bad, but is it not strange that with the original power supply I can boot all the way into Windows XP and use the computer, except for that power alert message and erratic behavior. Then, AFTER I put in the perfectly good power supply from the other computer, the light is no longer blinking orange, but I can't boot up at all? It seems that if the original power supply is bad, then replacing it with a good one should not result in WORSE behavior. On the other hand if the original power supply is good (i.e. not the problem), should it not behave the same when I replace it with another good power supply?

Please help. I'm afraid the original PS was bad and damaged the motherboard somehow and that I'll have to replace both, but that still doesn't quite explain why it would work better with the original bad power supply ... ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yrch

yrch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:32 AM

I've had the same experience with an Emachines computer. The power supply blew. Unfortunately it took the motherboard (and the hard drive) with it. There was also some slight discoloration on the motherboard's USB controller.

From what you said, it sounds like the motherboard may have gotten damaged. My recommendation, for now at least, would be to check the motherboard, and its components for discoloration or evidence of burning. Keep in mind, though, that if the motherboard is damaged, there may not be any visual evidence for it.

Also, having a higher wattage power supply hurts nothing.

Edited by yrch, 25 November 2009 - 02:55 AM.

#3 ok computer

ok computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the info on the power supply - I didn't think the wattage being too HIGH would be the problem, but at this point, I was unsure of anything. It's hard to see any damage but there is a burnt smell now that I really get my head in there. There is a tiny integrated circuit in there with a sort of blemish on the top - hard to tell if its a burn...nothing on the board that I can see.

I should note that the blinking orange is the hard drive light, and the steady green is the light around the power switch.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:24 AM

When you Swapped out the power supply did you make sure to connect the 4 pin power connection and the 20/24 pin main power connection. There is no logical explanation that I can think of that would cause a posting computer to not post with a known good power supply unless you missed a connection. Even if on power supply was 24 pin and one was 20 pin the computer should have still passed the POST test. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users