Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntldr.exe and ntdetect.com deleted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quinntheskimo

quinntheskimo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

My windows XP Professional system boots and comes up with ntldr.exe is missing... I boot from cdrom and copy the files back to the c: root and the system comes up briefly.. A quick command window comes up in windows ( too fast to read ) and windows promptly shuts itself down..During the time windows was up , there was no start button available. I also tried booting up in safe mode , no start button .. booting from my cd rom again , i found that msconfig was gone , and also most of the files in windows dir were gone... every time I boot , the ntdetect.com , boot.ini and the ntldr.exe files are gone after i bring the system back up . Sound like a virus ? I am going to reformat and reinstall windows ..My question here is , I want to copy the user files off that system , pics , music , etc . onto a hard drive and later move those to my other computer .. what reliable program can I use to scan that drive so that I can be certain its clean .. Mcafee doesnt always work like I want it to ... This computer is my sons and he has no virus protection on it ( we are having the talk ) .. A
I know that the second i place that drive on my system I need to be ready , are there antivirus programs i can run from backtrackr 3 ?? I am by no means an expert , but that system allows me to boot up and get into the file system and do things... what can I do here ??? thanks and regards . sq

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

I do not know what backtrackr 3 is
If you are using an external enclosure to hook the drive up to your computer, you can use Flash Drive Disinfector to protect your computer
Just remember to hold down the shift key when attaching the USB cable

Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 quinntheskimo

quinntheskimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thank you , I followed the directions on 4 easy steps to gettng rid of virus's and scanned my drives , also ran cobian back and back up my drive.. I then ran flash disinfector on all my jump drives .... except the one that is infected ..I am saving that for my sons laptop ... The Back tracker I found it googling for boot cd roms , and it seemed like the easiest thing to load , i just burned a cd rom with the iso file for the back tracker 3 ... booted off it and I can access the file system on the infected and damaged windows computer... I was able to see that the msconfig file was deleted and the files in windows dir were deleted as well.... I cannot do anything on the damaged windows system and it seems pointless to do anything except copy the files he needed off his dektop and my document folders... I dont there is anything else on it that matters.. But I am certain that those files or at least one may be infected... Thanks for you help ...This is the best site I have found and you guys have pulled me out of the fire a couple of times.. Have a great holiday and thanks and regards !!! you guys Rock !!!!!!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Glad you worked through the problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users