Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Building Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Goldensage1

Goldensage1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

My budget for the new computer is: Around 800 USD~ Cheaper is better

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Web browsing, but mostly gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Just normal stuff, firefox, word processors, but I will use matlab.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Yes. I play COD4, Gears of War, Crysis, Counterstrike, COD5...etc.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

I usually close programs after I use it.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yup.

First, I have no idea how, like, some parts are compatible or not. My dad is helping me to build it, cause he knows how to build it, but also doesnt know what stuff goes with what. I would like for you to give me a list of parts, that when put together would work, and would give me the best gaming experience possible and the best "bang for the buck."

Note that I am going to buy a lot of next-gen games, so I would prefer if you could help me build one that can run even the more graphically intensive games.

THANK YOU!

Btw: I already have a copy of Windows XP Professional, so no need to buy an operating system. A plus!

Edited by Goldensage1, 24 November 2009 - 10:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:23 AM

Start by choosing a motherboard as that decision dictates everything else you can install. If you have in mind a processor type (i.e: AMD Phenom x4 Black Edition or an Intel Core2) then you want to definitely concentrate on the ASUS, ABIT, and MSI products.

A good place to start is Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com)

#3 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

I was thinking of a Intel i7, cause I heard they were good. But I really have absolutely no knowledge of anything besides processors (abit) and graphics cards, so if you could help me make a full parts list, that would be AWESOME.

BTW: I dont know what ASUS, ABIT, and MSI are LOL

Edited by Goldensage1, 25 November 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:11 AM

Not a problem...

ASUS, ABIT, MSI are the names of companies that make and sell motherboards for computer systems... :thumbsup:

If you want an Intel i7 system and you want to limit your cost to under $800 then start here:

Intel DX58SO Motherboard
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...SO-overview.htm

MSI X58 PRO CORE, INTEL DP55KG, ASUS P6TSE
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-P6TSE-Intel-Cro...d/dp/B0028MKK0S

These all run DDR3 memory. Start here and look at the specifications for each (i.e.: what types of video cards, hard drives, dvd/cd drives are supported).

Remember, motherboards determine everything else you can install. If it doesnt work with that motherboard, you'll waste your money buying it.

Also determine the type of power supply and computer case you need. The motherboard will determine the wattage on the power supply.

#5 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

Can you recommend some good video cards for gaming and which motherboard I should get? And how do I know how much power supply I need? Is it listed somewhere?

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:09 AM

Video Card Manufacturers (names to type into Google)
  • BFG Tech
  • Nvidia
  • ATI
  • Sapphire
  • EVGA
  • HTI
  • MSI
  • Gigabyte
Here's a place to get started analyzing power supplies:

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/default.asp

#7 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:14 AM

Gee...This is really a lot for me to take in. If you could be more specific that would be cool.

#8 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

This would work fine. The case is more pricey than most but it's from a great company. You could change it to an antec 300 if you want and change the HDD to a 1TB one. But I think 750GB would be fine with a great case to go :thumbsup:

Posted Image
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#9 Smurfmdk

Smurfmdk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

Goldensage1 - are you US or UK based?

#10 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Goldensage1:

Part of the benefits you receive from this forum is that we not only answer a question for you in order to help you accomplish a task, but we also guide you in learning how to solve a problem on your own.

A big part of becoming capable of finding a solution is in investigating the possible solutions and finding out which ones best fit your problem. I can spell out a specific configuration or hardware for you, but if it doesn't work the way you expect, you're only going to be mad at me.

Take some time and start with the clues I have offered and tell me what you think works for the system you want. When building a system you have three goals:
  • Performance
  • Price
  • Future Use
For each category, the more you get from one, the less you will get from the others. It's a balancing act and the goal is to reach the right balance.

Example:

High performance equipment tends to cost more - lowering your ability to control price

Low cost equipment tends to perform in ways you do not like - lowering both performance and future use categories.

Computer equipment changes frequently - some computers which were considered cutting edge three years ago are obsolete now - this effectively means that either you upgrade or have limited use - effectively wasting money and performance

So start researching the items I have given you and tell me which ones would satisfy the following:
  • Name three motherboards that you can use with an Intel i7 CPU
  • Name two types of memory that you can use (DDR3) with a MSI X58 Pro Core motherboard?
  • Name two BFG video cards that have at least 256 MB onboard memory
  • What do the letters AGP stand for and why is an AGP video card in a gaming system a plus?
  • Is excessive heat a problem in gaming systems and how do you solve this problem?

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

The OP is U.S. based, as it says in the profile. Personally, I like IrishGrimReaper's build, it is an excellent balance of performance and value. Though, I would make a few alterations and below is why.

Case: RAIDMAX SIRIUS ATX-701WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Cases are mostly a style choice until you get to the huge graphics cards or decide to overclock. Full ATX cases are deeper than this and allow for the huge graphics cards. This Mid-ATX case is good enough for most users. In the grand scheme of cases, aluminum cases, such as the are a little higher class than a steel case. Both will do well, however, shipping will be expensive so be on the lookout for free shipping offers. $49

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard supports AM3 CPU's, DDR3-1600 RAM, and CrossfireX. Asus is a good company and the 785 motherboard is designed for mid range and gaming PC's. It supports fast memory but the CrossfireX performance may be more lacking than a 790 chipset, which the enthusiast crowd seems to enjoy. CrossfireX will still work normally, but about 20% slower than a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X motherboard which has an x8 PCI-E slot when using CrossfireX. $84

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - When looking at the games you play, you will need a powerful CPU to get the best performance. Intel's i7's are indeed powerful, but you will be paying a premium for them. On a budget of $800, an i7 that outperforms a Phenom II in this price range will be more expensive and offer almost the same results. This CPU is quad core and is unlocked, allowing for easy overclocking. $165

RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This motherboard supports DDR3-1600 memory. 4GB is more than enough for most users. Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $74

Videocard: SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB - Judging by the games you play, you will need better performance than what a Radeon 5750 graphics card can offer. A 5770 graphics card is roughly on par with a Radeon 4890 but is smaller, more energy efficient, produces less heat, and uses DirectX 11, which will be needed later when DX11 games start arriving. $164

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W - OCZ is a good brand. You generally figure you how much power you need by the graphics card. If the graphics card needs a 500W power supply, then you should get a 600W power supply. This gives you a 100W margin should you want to upgrade later. If you're not planning on using CrossfireX (The ability to use two or more ATI graphics cards at once), this PSU is more than enough. However, if you plan on using CrossfireX, a 700W PSU or greater, like the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W, is suggested. Among PSU manufacturers, there are several very good ones, like Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone, and PC Power. PSU's can also come as modular, which means you plug in the various cables as you need them, thus making cable management easier. Some power is lost as a result, but many people prefer a clean, unobstructed case over a few watts. $74 (Before $24 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb - Unless you use tons of hard drive space, this should work. Western Digital has hard drives that come in two types, Green and Black. Black drives are meant for greater performance, but green drives use less power and are slightly slower. $54

Optical Drive: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - This is a simple drive used to load software. $26

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need an operating system to run the PC, you also need that operating system to be 64-bit to use 4GB or more of RAM. You cannot reuse an old copy of Windows on a new PC unless it is a boxed retail version, which never comes pre-loaded on a new PC. $104

Grand Total: $802 (Before rebates)

Edited by DJBPace07, 25 November 2009 - 04:20 PM.

3939.png

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Btw: I already have a copy of Windows XP Professional, so no need to buy an operating system. A plus!

If this is a retail copy you are correct. If this is an OEM copy unfortunately that is not correct. OEM copies are bound to the motherboard that the OS is installed with. Retail copies are transferable.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Yep. Its a retail copy. And thanks for the replies, Grim and DJB. Their really helpful and I think I'll be basing my build off of them. However, I'll take Syscorp's advice and research more about alternatives first before I buy. Thaanks for the replies!

PS.

Grim, when you suggested the better ASUS motherboard,

I saw there was a combo deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.295699
For that with the AMD Phenom, that saved 50 dollars. That would be a good deal, right?

Edited by Goldensage1, 25 November 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#14 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hey! Well honestly, for $800 you get the good budget/performance build. But if you aim for High settings on games like Crisis, you need to invest more than $800, especially if you want an i7 setup, that with a good GPU would set you back around $1100-$1300.

And yes, that combo deal is good! Go for it I'd say. Honestly though, go with what DJBpace said, personally I'd get the case cause I love Lian Li, but that's me and it's not the right way to go for performance.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#15 Goldensage1

Goldensage1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

So in DJBs build, thats EVERYTHING i need to build the computer, right? (excluding monitor, keyboard, mouse)?

Or do I need to buy coolers and cables and stuff?

Edited by Goldensage1, 25 November 2009 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users