Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Have a desktop computer, a gateway, running win vista. I am using an ethernet cable to hook it to the internet, but even though device manager shows an network driver, I cant connect to the internet. I went to the gateway website and downloaded the driver for the particular model. But for some reason it wont install, I get an error saying 'Intel proset devices not found on your system'

How can I get the intenet connection to work, it is cable internet, so no need of any password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

Start small and work your way up:

Click Start and in the Search box, type cmd. When the item "cmd.exe" appears under "Programs" in the Start Menu, right click and choose "Run as Administrator"

When the User Account Control window appears asking you to allow cmd.exe to run, click "Continue"

When the command prompt appears, type ping localhost

If your network adapter has been installed correctly and TCP/IP is tied to it, you should see something like the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\Windows\system32>ping localhost

Pinging [your computer name here] [::1] from ::1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time=1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

D:\Windows\system32>

If you get anything in the "Lost" category, we have more troubleshooting ahead.

Post your results back here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users