Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC rebooting loop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hi, my windows XP PC has been stuck in a rebooting loop. It first shows the windows loading screen for a few seconds and then it turns off automatically and restarts itself. This loop goes on forever and I have no idea what to do. Please help!

Ke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to the BC Forums.

Firstly, disable "Automatic restart" to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

Then try the following ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hi, I've followed your instruction and tried at least 10x and it still does the same thing.
For Disable automatic restart on system failure option, the computer doesn't restart but it shuts down but you can still hear the PC is running (my monitor says there is no signal, that usually happens when my computer is shut down).
For the Last known good configuration option, my computer gives the following error message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
(and it told me to press "r" to fixed it or insert the recovery dic)
I did not see BSOD following any of these procedures. I've also tried to recover my PC, both the file safe recovery and complete recovery,with the OS disc but after recovery, the system still does the same thing. Thanks

Ke

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

I would run a check of the hard drive...after trying a chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

Louis

#5 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

How do you run a hard drive check? Can you please give me the procedure? Thanks

Ke

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Firstly, you need to find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

After visiting the website link you posted for the diagnostic test and Googling, I cannot find the software/utilities tool from my manufacture, HIPRO HP-P303F5 (Rev2), do you have any other alternative recommendations? Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hipro HP appears to make PSUs, not hard drives.

That data you provided...yields nothing in my Google efforts.

Louis

#9 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

Here is a link to the description of my PC [post="description of my PC"]http://insigniaproducts.com/products/computers/D300a.html#headDriversSoftware[/post]
It says that I have a Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, but I'm not exactly sure what brand it is or which hard drive diagnostic tool is compatible.

Edited by Sneezy_08, 27 November 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

The hard drive manufacturer can be ascertained in several ways:

a. Simply open the case and take a look at the hard drive manufacturer's logo, etc. on it.

b. Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Click the plus sign by the Disk Drives category. The drive model numbers will become visible.

Post the detail here

The manufacturer can be determined by using Google to find that model number for a hard drive.

Louis

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:34 AM

b. Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Click the plus sign by the Disk Drives category. The drive model numbers will become visible.

@ hamluis: that is not going to work for the OP

Instead, have a look in the BIOS Setup Menu
(tap the Del key after pressing the ON button)
and you will see the model number where the drive is listed > google it to find the manufacturer name.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thanks, I found out that my model number is WD600BB-00JHA0, and I downloaded the file from http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...=30&lang=en but I'm not sure how to make a copy on a CD with their instruction. I first unzipped the file and I found the following files:
DLGDIAG5.EXE, DLGDIAG.txt, DLGICE.TXT, IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM
then I burned the CD as a data CD, and when I checked the boot priority and it says that it is loading from the CD-ROM first, but when I inserted CD, nothing happened, it continues to loop.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hmmm .... not the best instructions that I have ever seen!

Download the .ISO version. Do NOT unzip or extract ... leave it as is.
Download and install ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/
Right-click on the .ISO file and choose "burn with ImgBurn"
Or ... open ImgBurn, and navigate to the .ISO file and choose "Burn image".

Now the CD should boot.
(Burning an .ISO image to CD is not the same as copying to a CD aka burning a data CD)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 Sneezy_08

Sneezy_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

After conducting the quick and extended tests, the results are "No Errors" but I don't know how do you check the S.M.A.R.T. status.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

After conducting the quick and extended tests, the results are "No Errors" but I don't know how do you check the S.M.A.R.T. status.

That should be good enough: The hard drive is OK.
Sorry, but I can't tell you whether the WD diagnostic utility even displays the S.M.A.R.T. status: You would have to read the instructions perhaps for that, but it is not necessary now.

Since there is no problem with the hard drive ...
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso).
I don't know whether you have an OEM "recovery disk" or a Windows XP installation CD. If it is a "recovery disk", then I don't know whether or not you will be able to load the XP Recovery Console from it. If not, you will have to make your own XP Recovery Console CD.
Do the following ...1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press ENTER.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat if necessary, until no more errors are found.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
--------------------------------------------------

If the above step is not successful, an off-line system restore may get you out of trouble.

Instructions: How to perform an "off-line System Restore" ... Windows XP
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652
(There are a few mistakes in the the instructions text, but simply ignore those.
There is a significant mistake in Step #6 when changing the prompt back one directory level: This is given as cd..
In fact you must enter a space between cd and the two dots, so that it looks like this cd .. )

Please work carefully and deliberately, one step at a time: It is possible that you could be thwarted at any stage.
If you experience any problem with any step of the procedure, please stop, and post a description/question.

***Please be very exact with reading and typing the commands. They MUST be EXACTLY CORRECT, spaces and all.

Does your system start normally now?
------------------------------------------------------

You wrote: "I've also tried to recover my PC, both the file safe recovery and complete recovery,with the OS disc but after recovery, the system still does the same thing."
I do not know what effect these actions might have had, but I am somewhat less confident of success than I would otherwise be.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users