Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stopped connecting to router?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Metzgirl

Metzgirl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

This is my first attempt at wireless internet networking, so I appoligize in advance for dumb questions.

I'm trying to set up a wireless network for my church which includes the pastor's computer at home (about 75yrds away from the router). In order to help with the range issues, I attempted to switch the router to broadcast at 5Ghz, only to discover the wireless adapter on the home computer only picked up 2.4 Ghz signals. I switched it back to the orginal settings, but somewhere in the midst of switching, the laptop at church stopped connecting to the router. The Pastor has been on the phone with Dell, who decided the problem was with the motherboard. They sent a technician out to replace the board, but it is still not connecting to router. Even after downloading new drivers and such, no connection is happening. Here are the specs on the router and laptop:

Router:
D-Link Dual Band N 5GHz/2.4GHz "Rangebooster N Dual Band Router"

Laptop: Dell vostro 1720
Intel Core Duo T6670 @ 2.20 GHz
2.96GB RAM
Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card

We are getting very tired of the run around with Dell, even though the computer is only 2 months old and everything is under warrantee. The router has only been running for three weeks. We also had some secondary free trial security that I'm having troubles getting at from the laptop. On the home computer it only took turning on a browser for the security thing to pop up and ask for the password. I'm told the same thing happened orignally for the laptop, but it hasn't happened again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

First, the only dumb questions are those un-asked. So you ask whatever you need to.

If you messed with the router and didn't mess with the laptops then the issue is more than likely with the router. I would reset it, there is a button on the back. You'll need a needle or straightened out paper clip. When you do that it will wipe out all settings on the router. Plug the laptop at the church into the router through a port on the back of the router. Surf into the router and make sure its all set. I would disable any and all security while you are doing this. Get the home laptop connected and surfing. Unplug the church laptop and get it connected wireless. Once you are sure they are both connecting fine add in some security and check both can still surf. If you can setup WPA2 on both, that is all the security you'll need from someone hacking you wireless.

What is the name of the other security you got a trail of?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users