Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted System Shutdown and other anomolies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jom

jom

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

I've had some odd things happen with my computer lately. First of all I've had the computer shut down (without me doing so) just randomly. This has happened only twice in the last week or two but it was the most egregious. Most of the time, however, what will happen will be a window will open out of the blue, or like this morning the Calculator opened up while I was away. Sometimes the F11 function will start (which stretches the screen in Firefox) and often the F7 function will toggle (the one where you get the dialog box: "Pressing F7 turns Caret Browsing on or off. This feature places a moveable cursor in web pages, allowing you to select text with the keyboard. Do you want to turn Caret Browsing on?"). What I do get mostly is a system beep (while in XP)...usually one beep but occasionally two beeps.

I ran this through the Malware part of the forum and it was clean so that isn't the issue.

The beeps could indicate a HD problem but I couldn't find one. However, when I ran the Disk Check in Windows (under Properties right-click of the drive) it would NOT finish the check. I ran the same on my other HD (D: drive) and it was fine.

I've also checked the system logs under Event Viewer and nothing seems odd.

I'm not sure what do with this or how to find the problem. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

jom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

Sounds almost like you are getting some sort of oddball keyboard inputs.

Swap keyboards (if you have one, try a USB if you are currently using a PS2). No idea on your ckdisk problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Inability by chkdsk to complete a 5-step scan...is indicative of a problem with either the file system or the hard drive, IMO. In such case, I would run the respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test) on the drive.

<<The beeps could indicate a HD problem but I couldn't find one.>>

Appears to me that you have found one.

Louis

#4 jom

jom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Unfortunately, it seems by HD manu doesn't have any such software. The CD that came with it had some software but nothing you suggested.

The computer shut off again today without any "input" from me however there haven't been any "beeps" today. Strange...

jom

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Hard drive model/manufacturer?

Louis

#6 jom

jom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

It's a 200MB Maxtor 6B200P0. I had redid my system software only a coupe of months ago due to a virus. However, the drive says it's capacity is only 137MB. I know I've trouble with this before but I could swear the last time I could get the capacity to 200MB while redoing the system.

XP SP3 is my system.

jom

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/244...00p0.html#specs

Maxtor was acquired by Seagate, which means that you use the Seagate diagnostics. I suggest the SeaTools for DOS version, http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools.

FWIW: Any version of XP which contains SP1 or more recent...does not encounter the 137GB hard drive barrier. If your install CD or installed XP doesn't include at least SP1, you will always run into this momentary barrier.

http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recove...for_windows.htm

Louis

#8 jom

jom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for your help. I checked both drives and they came out OK. It seems it was the keyboard after all...which I've replaced. I'm surprised it could create such havoc. It least it wasn't a virius.

Thanks again!

jom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users