Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 christnp

christnp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hello all,

This is my first post to bleepingomputer.com, but I do have some experience with forums...

So here is my system information:

Biostar AMD motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 5600 processor
4 Gigs of memory
Hauppauge HVR-1250 tuner card (PCIe x1)
Linksys wireless PCI card
WD 500GB SATA HDD
LiteON SATA DVD R/W
270W HEC PSU

I am wanting to add a video card to this system (because it is an HTPC) and one of the video cards that I am looking at says that it it requires a 300W PSU, whereas the other one does not have any requirements. Here are the two cards I am looking at (I'm leaning towards the Sapphire card):

Sapphire - no minimum PSU requirement

Asus - 300W minimum PSU requirement

The only reason I am making this post is because my HTPC case (HEC case) requires a somewhat unique PSU (TFX form factor I believe) and it seems to be difficult to find one greater than 300W (I'd like to have at least 350W, which I think I may have found here).

What is everyone's opinion on this topic? Would I be okay with just 270W? 300W? Or should I DEFINITELY get at least a 350W PSU?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Just my opinion, cuz i am not a pro. But you need a much better PSU. Your specs are nice (reasonably demanding box). If you add the first card you will need to have enough watts on board to keep all operations available at once( some at least ). The first card will be long and have overhead(fan,gpu,ram, bells and whistles). Just started looking into a PSU for a new build myself, and the goal seams to be keeping your demands in the mid range of a power supplies ability to provide.. This will keep the PSU in an efficient realm, not near max and not just (over kill) dodling along. PSUs are tuff enough to choose for standard cases, best of luck in your quest. My current card (listed below) had the fan go by by about 4 months in, but didn't kill the card. Kudos to Sapphire or board manufacturer(over temp shut down w/system report saved the day). I modded the fan box to run a normal chip set fan and all's well now. :thumbsup:
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

Welcome to Bc.
It some times takes a bit for the pros to show, but they do. Again, Welcome to a great site.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 christnp

christnp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I agree -- I do need as much power as possible. I will need as much luck as possible finding a proper PSU because there just aren't many out there that fit the TFX dimensions that I need. There is one on ebay that says it is 400W, but I just don't know if I believe it and it is a PSU brand that I had never heard of (MegaPower?).

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to hear from a pro :thumbsup: ... but I guess I am in no hurry.

Edited by christnp, 24 November 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Worth a look, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#6 christnp

christnp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the link, but I'm way ahead of you :thumbsup: ... I've already checked Newegg and the PSU I have is actually the HEC 270W listed on the link you provided. My dilemma is that the dimensions of the PSU I want don't match that of the HEC 270W supply I have and, thus, I can't seem to find anything that will fit my HEC case -- but I found a MegaPower 400W TFX supply that is VERY close to the dimensions that I need, so I went ahead and bought it (it isn't 80 Plus certified, but it is 400W). Anyone have any reviews on MegaPower (I had never heard of them)?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

I would not worry about reviews of power supplies...if it fits and works :thumbsup: .

The reviews online are pretty much in the same category as endorsements by PCWorld...fluff trying to create significant differences where there are differences but they would not be significant to the average user.

I just wanted to add that maybe you should have looked (if you didh't) at some of the SFX power supplies for your case. Until you posted, I had never heard of either form factor, although I had realized that different dimensions do occur.

If Newegg is selling it, it's probably a decent product, meaning that it works even if not recommended for gamers and enthusiasts.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users