Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium Will not install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 remiep

remiep

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Ok where do I start....
I have a n Inspiron 1720 core 2 duo.

Since I bought the computer I was never able to update Service pack 1: I will briefly give you a run down on what I went through.

1. Contacted Dell: Updated all drivers on the Laptop and tried a stand alone SP1 install. Result failed blue screen Dell referred me to MS they could not figure it out.

2. Contacted MS after serveral hours of troubleshooting. Result Fail Ms felt that a format of my HD would be the solution. I did not own an external HD so that was not in my options to format.

3. Now I would have hoped MS is aware of everything that can go wrong with Vista. I contact them and I still receive no solutions. I now own an external HD so I format my drive.

4.Vista completes all steps of the installation except the Final Step!! no matter how many times I restart it the process stops at the same spot. I have tried al everything so your suggestions would help a lot. If you require any more info please let me know because Dell wont help me anymore bc my warranty has expired 4 mos ago, and MS is clueless. HEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

just a thought. :huh:

how much Ram is in the machine.? have you checked RAM to be good ? (if more than 2GB try taking some out)
32 bit or 64 bit ?
do you have an install disc or are you trying the recovery partition ?
have you formatted with DBAN ? http://www.dban.org/

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

what stop error? (0x00000000000e8 or something like that on blue screen)

#4 remiep

remiep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

2 gb of ram. I have the Dell Reinstallation DVD. I used the DVD to format my drive. I still have the recovery Partition,but I am unable to use it to restore the OS. As far as the exact code I no longer have it written down. Also at this point I am not getting an error code its just hanging at "completing install". I have also disabled wifi to prevent it from searching for updates while installing.

Disk 0 Partition 2 Recovery 10.0 GB 5.8gbFree Primary
Disk 0 Partition 3 220.3GB 212.8GB Primary
Disk 0 Partition 4 Mediadirect 2.5GB 844.0MB Logical

Should I try to format all drives? Well I have nothing to lose so i will format it all right now and let you know.

This is what happens when I do a System Restore I get he the following:

"windows has found problems with your computer" " The following startup options will be added"Windows TM Code Name "Longhorn" Preinstallation Enviroment(recovered)"

Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition=D: (10240 MB)

A Copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as"
C:\Boot\BCD.backup.0001

Edited by remiep, 24 November 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Maybe since it sees only one partition and wants to load a preinstallation environment is because your master boot record is messed up. There are a lot of preinstallation cd's with tools to fix this online. You download them and burn to a cd and the computer runs off the cd instead of the hard drive to fix it. The one I used was HawkPE and the program was called Fixboot and will be in the program folder erd commander because the start menu and desktop look different than what is saved on your hard drive.

Hawkpe is a preinstallation environment. That means it is a lightweight version of windows that doesn't have a lot of features but runs from a cd so you can change things that you normally wouldn't be able to because the hard drive would be booted up already. Fixboot and programs like it change codes in a table that is stored at the beginning of the hard drive and if they are set to the even one wrong number the computer can't see anything on the drive or that the partitions exist, so that is why I think you either have a bad boot record or a bad hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users