Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&D - Registry Hives...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Katrex

Katrex

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hey everyone.

I was in -safe mode- on another computer a few minutes ago, running scans and I opened up Spybot S&D as Admin.

I clicked for it to start a scan, then quickly changed my mind since I decided I wanted to do something else first (I dont use the PC while it is scanning, ever) and the blue bar at the top of the window changed from Spybot Search & Destroy, to:

"Unloading User Registry Hives may take awhile... "

Despite having used Spybot for.. some time, I had NO idea what this meant and after spending a few minutes trying to get Spybot to work (it kept going to Not Responding), in a bit of a panic I opened up CTRL ALT DEL and killed the Spybot process.

I re-opened it and it seems fine... I restarted into normal mode and the PC loaded up fine, but still I find myself worried that I may have just screwed something up by killing Spybot while it was doing that instead of letting it run.

Can anyone tell me what it was doing?
Could or Did I cause damage to my machine somewhere by killing the process while it was doing that?
Is this something I shouldnt really worry about?

Any help would be appreciated.

The machine:
Acer Laptop. Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium. Spybot S&D Latest Version

::: EDIT :::

It has been a day but with no replies I figured Id tack this on...
┼┤ould anyone recommend just using a system restore point (I have a restore point for the day before, the 23rd)? Of course, if no damage was done and there is nothing to worry about it wont be necessary.. but figured Id add in it here in hopes of getting replies ;d

Edited by Katrex, 25 November 2009 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Katrex

Katrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Um.. is there any rules against bumping here? In most other forums it is fine to if it falls off the first page, but.. I had something I wanted to add and the edit button seems gone. Can't find it for the life of me.

Anyway, what I wanted to add:

I read on one of the sites I was looking for information about this on that using System Restore can cause file damage/corruption, is this true? Or was the person just talking nonsense? If not, I may as well just do this anyway.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

I doubt any damage was done by stopping Spybot but I also do not see what harm using System Restore would do, especially if you have not installed or removed any problems inbetween the date you do the restore to untill now. Using it might give you some peace of mind and that is worth a lot. If it were me, I would probably just do a restore to the day before this thing with Spybot.

I have never heard what you did about using System Restore and have used it many times without any problems.

Btw, the reason you could not edit your previous post is you can only edit them for 24 hours after they are posted.

#4 Katrex

Katrex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

Yes, I would say it is and I just might system restore for that reason. Still - thank you very much for the response. I sort of had bad timing with this one (thanksgiving for some), and the lack of response was making me loopy. @.@

I.. cannot seem to locate where I read this now, I came across it randomly when hunting for what an event in my event log meant (just trying to inform myself). I guess that person just had done something to cause the corruption, and blamed it on system restore.

Ah. I do not encounter that often (edit button disappearing). I ran into only one other forum with that, and it was a lot shorter than 24 hours. Glad I am not crazy.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users