Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNABLE TO PERFORM SFC/SCANNOW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gersweeney

gersweeney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi

I have a problem when i perform sfc/scannow it goes as far as 77% and stops telling me " WINDOWS RESOURCE PROTECTION COULD NOT PERFORM THE REQUIRED OPERATION " .I have done a file check and found faults but mainly to do with Bluetooth which i dont have ?
ACER LAPTOP 500gbHdd , 4gb mem , OS Vista home premium sp 2, Google Chrome .

I have also ran Malwarbyes and i had no infections.

Ger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Follow the steps in this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

#3 gersweeney

gersweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

HI
Ok tried that and i got a lot of files that could not be repaired but i could not follow you on how to repair them there was a lot of them
I got down to the end of the procedure i was not able to figure it out then
GER

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

You have to take ownership of all those files to the Administrators group as explained in that article.

#5 gersweeney

gersweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hi Romeo
Im sorry i just cant get this right i have sfc text editor got and there is a lot of unrepaired files but i am not able to take admin rights
do i have to copy those files into a new command promt ? Its telling me its invalid parameter when i follow the instructions its confusing
with me sorry i see the problems but i dont know where to from there could you instruct me a little more easier please

\\\ger

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Manually replacing the corrupt file
Example: You have corrupt file c:\windows\notepad.exe and you have a god copy in e:\notepad.exe
type this in command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line :
takeown /f "c:\windows\noteapd.exe"
icacls "c:\windows\notepad.exe /grant administrators:F
copy e:\notepad.exe c:\windows\notepad.exe

You can also try to perform a chkdsk /f . Open command prompt, type chkdsk /f c:. It will ask you to perform after restart answer yes.
If the bluetooth device is listed in the Device Manager, you may try to uninstall that device.

If nothing works, I am afraid you will have perform a repair install ( http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users