Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer favorites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lindyb420

lindyb420

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

im running windows xp home, ie 6 sp2, norton antivirus, windows firewall.
i logged out of my windows user name into another user name the other day, and when i logged back into my account, my ie favorites list was gone. i searched the harddrive and found the actual favorites, but i cannot get them back into internet explorer. when i click the favorites tab, the drop down menu has add to favorites and organize favorites, but nothing else. if you click one of the two options, nothing happens. ive tried running nortion system works check, spybot, norton antivirus scan, ive cleaned all my cache files, including cookies. ive tried running a scan disk, and a defrag. ive even run a registry cleaner. i am totally out of options. help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hi I no that on another forum i was on last night 8 people logged on with computer faults, all had nortons and all were told by nortons tec's that there was nothing they could do about it, they had what you have got, some had complete crashes and some managed to get logged on but computers were slow, one guy ran a test with another antivirus after stopping nortons and found 2 trogans and loads of spyware yet nortons told him he was clean.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:12 AM

In Internet Explorer go to the File menu and click on Import and Export. You can Import your favourites using that wizard but I'm not sure when you navigate to your favourites whether you can Import them in that format or not.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 lindyb420

lindyb420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:21 AM

thedon57:
based on your input, i installed another anti-virus/anti-spy program and it found a lot of problems, but fixing them didnt fix the base problem. but thanks :thumbsup:

Leurgy:
i tried the import export thing, but it looks for a bookmark.htm file, which apparently is missing. if i could find out how to take the favorites file and convert it into that bookmark.htm file, maybe that would work.

i am semi-computer illiterate. if you explain it, i can get it, but i really have no knowledge other than what computer tech friends have taught me :flowers:

thanks for all your help! any more would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:18 PM

I know of at least one person who has fixed this problem by doing a System Restore.

Running System Restore:

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Click Restore My Computer to an earlier time and follow the prompts. Pick a date before the problem occured. Current documents, files and e-mail are not affected during a restoration.

When you get your favourites back you can export them to My Documents, a floppy or burn them to a CD. I back mine up about once a month as I add to them frequently.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users