Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to figure out a BSOD.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

Alright I have tried everything on this computer I am working on to fix a BSOD that I am getting.

I have a Dell XPS 400 desktop that is using the onboard Intel Raid Controller set up in a mirror RAID. I have to latest version intel raid software from the dell website. I can boot to each individual hard drive and it boots into windows. I can boot with both hooked up fine. But when I open the event viewer and try to view a log I get a "page fault in nonpaged area." I have also tried to run check disk (which fixed problems on the drive from me rebooting when I got a BSOD). I have also tried running SFC which fixed some files but did fix the problem. I have replaced both memory chips with 1 2 gb stick which didn't fix it. I have run nummorus virus/malware scans (Malwarebytes super anti spyware and spybot). I have even swpped the processor out with a known working one which didn't fix the problem. Also tried the video card with no luck. Ran Memtest86 which didn't find anything on any stick of ram.

My thinking is that it has something to do with the RAID controller. Is it possible for me to turn off the RAID and boot into windows then turn the RAID back on with out suffering data loss or having to rebuild the Raid?

Hopeless Computers?

uByte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Is it possible that this may be caused by a bios issue?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

<>

I guess that I wonder...what would be gained by this tactic?

As for opening EV being the cause of crashes..why not do a repair install of XP? That would flush all your old system files and replace them...and EV should work properly.

SFC /scannow is supposed to accomplish something similar...but it does not necessarily replace every system file, just the one which it detects as being damaged or missing. Who's to say that it always detects everything which is damaged or missing?

If you really want to troubleshoot your BSOD issue...then do a search for any .dmp files and then apply the following: Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#4 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Bios update has been done already. Running SFC has also been done already.

The reason I did wanted to do the RAID disable and renable to see if it something with the Raid Controller on the motherboard.

I did run a chipset driver update and what do you know it fixed it. I ended up replacing the memory too as i was getting weird BSODs with previous memory in. My conclusion is that it had to be the memory corrupting the chipset drivers some way.

Thanks a Million!
uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users