Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really strange problems on POST.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soulgain

Soulgain

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

For ease of explaining this and to avoid a lot of redundancy, we're going to call my client Jim.

Jim gave his box (Which has Windows XP) to me with the information that it wouldn't get past the POST and that during it, it would give him a message along the lines of "start up error, shutting down in 10 seconds". Now, I've never heard of any motherboard do this on the POST. It also begins to REALLY glitch out on the POST with my monitor. For example, it starts to get random streaks of horizontal or verticals stripes of color and general graphical garbage all over the place. It was stuck on "checking NVRAM" during all of this. I turned it off for fear that my monitor would screw up. I know that probably won't screw up my monitor, but it's the only monitor I have and really don't have the money for another one. Better safe than sorry I say. After it did that, it would no longer recognize my monitor, which worries me. Jim told me that he took his box to another person and he wanted to charge Jim almost 400 dollars to fix it. Now, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this person is trying to rip him off and I'm not exactly sure whether Jim actually saw the error message on the POST or if it's just some story this guy told him.

Now this seems to me like a problem with the VGA on the motherboard, considering that once I plugged my monitor back into my computer it worked just fine, but could a faulty VGA be the cause of it not getting past the POST? The VGA port on the motherboard must be really screwed up or something else is causing it. Also, for some strange reason, the disc tray opens constantly during the POST. Something else I also noticed was that the switch on the PSU was on the 230v side and not on the 115v side. The electrical current here is 110v, so maybe they tried turning it on with 230v and that busted the motherboard? I tried turning it on with 230v on and it made the disc tray open up even more frequently, but it no longer recognized my monitor (I switched it back to 115v and it still didn't recognize my monitor).

I'm not an expert on fixing computers, but I have fixed a few and this is the first I've ever seen with such a strange problem. I still haven't opened it up, but I will once I test out the POST more.

Any help would be appreciated, if this is even fixable. I have a strong feeling Jim is going to have to buy a new computer.

Edited by Soulgain, 24 November 2009 - 09:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

My first thoughts would be to test again with another power supply. It's possible that it has ceased to work properly and is sending the incorrect voltages to the motherboard.

I would also be looking for "popped capacitors" on the motherboard. Popped caps can make all sorts of strange stuff happen.

If you don't find anything with either of these two situations, I would think about replacing the motherboard and possibly the power supply at the same time.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

Well...I've had video problems manifest themselves...but the result is usually the "no display" onscreen, with no error message or any indication that the video function is capable of working.

The only time I've seen an onscreen countdown...is the time that the Blaster worm penetrated a new clean install on a system where I had failed to initiate my 3d-party firewall. My experience is that Windows does not spew out messages indicating that it's "shutting down in 10 seconds."

Heat-related or power-related shutdowns don't normally provide any warning...they just happen. I've not known of a failing motherboard or CPU or RAM or any other component...to provide such a warning.

I can't tell you what it is, but I can only say what it does not appear to be, IMO.

Just an amateur opinion....but running a system at the wrong voltage...cannot be good for any of the components, IMO.

Louis

#4 Soulgain

Soulgain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

I opened it up and the capacitors are completely fine. The motherboard seems relatively new as well. I'm thinking that it has to be the PSU. Unfortunately I don't have any viable PSU's to test with. The only one I have does not have the 4 pin connector that powers the CPU and this motherboard requires it.

#5 Soulgain

Soulgain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

I put in a new PSU and....nothing. The display still suffers from horrible graphical garbage and it wont get past the memory check on the post. I unplugged everything and plugged it back in again and still the same. A really strange thing is that it will recognize my monitor once and that's it. I tried plugging in the monitor multipel times, shutting off the PSU and waiting, cleaning the VGA port, etc and it won't recognize it at all. I've pretty much concluded that the mobo is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users