Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see external HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:11 AM

Gooday all. I bought a WD 1TB external HD to store all my music on. What do I have to do to get it seen by the main drive. I expected it would just plug in and then show up when I open "my computer". Fraid not. Could some one point me in the right direction please. I have a pretty standard sort of computer. 2gb ram,Athlon 64 and ASUS M/B. Nvidia GeForce9400 GT video card.Thanks in advance, James.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:10 AM

If an attached drive is not reflected in My Computer...then the first thing that should be done is take a look in Disk Management and see if the drive is reflected.

Second consideration, if drive is reflected in Disk Management...is to see if the drive is formatted.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter or OK.

If the drive is not reflected in Disk Management nor in My Computer...check the instructions for using the drive and check the connections of same.

Disk Management - http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

Louis

#3 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:36 AM

Sorry about posting that in the wrong place. I am using XP and just lazily posted there. Hamluis, many thanks, I have now formatted the disk, well 50gb of it , in NTFS. I copied some U2 tracks over to it to test drive and it shows they are there but wont play them. Can you tell me the next step please. Kind regards, James.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

What program do you have selected to play .mp3 files?

WMP will play them...but not if something else is the default. In fact, I think WMP will play them only after it is selected as the default program for opening/playing .mp3 files.

When you right-click on an .mp3 file...what options do you see?

What happens if you just double-click an .mp3 file?

Louis

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks again for the reply. I am heading out west for a few days, I will get on to this when I get back. James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users