Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem: partly connected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hi BleepingComputer, I have a strange problem, and I'm wondering how something like this can happen. I do have some technical knowledge, though not extensive.

I'm connecting to the net through a router. Works fine. During my test on some issues I'm having with Media Player streaming, I disconnected my router and pluged the cable directly to my PC. I verified in "Network Connections" that I am not longer connected to the 192.168.x.x style router IP, instead, it is connected to a legitimate cable modem IP. In the past, I've done this before to rule out the router as a problem to issues. This time however, I encountered something strange.

My PC is not connected to the net. The IP checks out, it is supposed to be working. But I cannot go to any websites, EXCEPT 1:

Google.

Not Google Images or anything else, JUST Google. No, it is not set as my homepage.

And stranger yet, I could do searches on Google... If it is only cache, how did I manage to get search results?

So I'm partly online? Can someone explain how this could come to be?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:25 AM

Ok so you are bypassing your router to check if the Media player streaming issue is because of the router. But when you connect directly to the cable modem you can only get to Google and then not to all of Google?

What version of Windows?

Have you rebooted the PC with it connected directly to the modem and tried to surf?

Have you done an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew from a command prompt?

You are correct, you have a strange issue lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users